Apprentice Commis Chef Ramside Estates Ltd
The Bowburn Hall Hotel in Bowburn is excited to welcome an Apprentice Commis Chef to their experienced and friendly team. This is an excellent opportunity for an aspiring Chef to gain the knowledge, experience, and qualifications to embark on a successful career in the catering industry.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2021
15 Apr 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
Principal responsibilities will include:
- Learn different procedures of food preparation
- Prepare ingredients for dishes upon the instructions of the Chef
- Assist in operating commercial cooking equipment such as stoves, cookers, ovens, and fryers
- Make sure that food supplies are stored properly and used resourcefully
- Ensure that food items are properly rotated in refrigerators and dealt with according to the restaurant’s policies
- Help the Chef in cooking activities by providing input and managing work
- Set up food stations by following Chef’s orders
- Make sure that recipes are followed properly during food preparation and cooking time
- Handle portion control requirements and presentation standards
- Arrange food items aesthetically on serving plates
- Make sure that the kitchen is clean and organised at all times
- Ensure that best food practices and kitchen hygiene protocols are adhered to
- Provide guidance to kitchen staff in upholding high culinary standards
- Make sure that all leftover food is stored properly
- Assist in checking food deliveries for both quantity and quality standards
- Provide input into stock rotation activities and make sure that food inventory is in check
- Learn and employ the basics of food aesthetics in sync with the restaurant’s set instructions
- Maintain a “clean as you go” work ethic
N.B. This job description is designed to give you an overall view of the job and is not a definitive list of tasks.
Requirements and prospects
- Good communication skills with a variety of people including colleagues, managers, and customers
- Good interpersonal skills
- Culinary skills will be developed on the apprenticeship programme
- Friendly and outgoing
- Confident and professional manner
- Conscientious attitude
- Attention to detail
- Flexible approach to work
- Able to work under pressure and multitask
- Self-motivation and a passion for cooking
- Good work ethic and a commitment to learning
- Minimum of GCSEs at grades E/2 (or equivalent) in maths and English
- GCSEs at grades A*-C/9-4 (or equivalent)
This could lead to a long-term position for the right candidate upon completion of this apprenticeship.
Things to consider
Shifts will be discussed at the employer interview stage. The kitchen is often very hot and stressful. The candidate will show stamina and commitment to achieving their apprenticeship.
About the employer
Food has always been an important part of the offering at Bowburn Hall Hotel. Our talented chefs are led by our head chef of more than 20 years, Chris, and together they cook delicious meals using home-grown produce from our own Hardwick gardens, wherever possible, as well as using the finest eggs from our very own free-range chickens!
We offer daily blackboard specials, delicious afternoon teas, evening meals and a very popular Sunday lunch, all served by our friendly, helpful team in relaxing, comfortable surroundings.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Darlington College
Kay Sherwen 07483 103284 firstname.lastname@example.org
Level 2 Commis Chef apprenticeship standard, which includes:
- Level 1/2 Functional Skills in maths and English (if required)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.