Crop Technician Apprentice VOLMARY LTD
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual looking to expand their experience and knowledge of horticulture whilst working for a nationally recognised leading supplier of young plants. Level 2 Horticulture and Landscape Operative.
Closing date: 21 Dec 2021
£180.18 to £347.49
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).Minimum Wage Rates
Total hours per week: 39.00
Possible start date
15 Jan 2022
08 Dec 2020
Level 2 (GCSE)
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual looking to expand their experience and knowledge of horticulture whilst working for a nationally recognised leading supplier of young plants.
Within this role you will need to balance full-time paid employment whilst also undertaking a nationally recognised qualification in Horticulture. You will need to be flexible with your time and committed to both your employment and studies.
This apprenticeship will last up to 24 months and could lead on to further employment within the company once you have completed your course.
We are looking to recruit and train individuals who wish to develop a career in commercial horticulture.
Volmary are a young plant propagator growing a wide range of both ornamental and edible plants in small modular cells from seed and cuttings.
Persons must have, and show, an interest in growing plants. Work will mainly be under protection (glasshouses) although some work will be outside. The role provided will be as an under-study to a Head Grower.
- The duties will include using a hosepipe to water plants, as well as being trained and guided in the use of sprinkler irrigation systems
- Daily crop monitoring to assess for crop watering needs as well as checking crops for pests and diseases, including weeds
- At certain times of the year plants are propagated under polythene and will need checking carefully
- Plants will require specific treatments at times which will necessitate both the need to apply chemical sprays (individuals will receive on-the-job training as well as external training and testing) and the introduction of biological control insects
- Always keep the area you are responsible for clean and tidy
Requirements and prospects
- You must have a keen interest in both plants and nursery work
- You should be a good team player and you should also be happy
- You will need to be able to follow concise instructions and carry out various associated tasks on the nursery
- You must be able to communicate well with people at all levels
- Enjoy physical work
An ideal candidate will be:
- You must have a keen interest in both plants and nursery work.
- Enjoy physical work
- Able to use their initiative and be hardworking
- Committed to the role and able to prioritise both your work and course commitments
- Able to demonstrate punctuality and reliability
- Flexibility with regard to tasks to by undertaken
- High level of self-motivation
- At least GCSE grade 4 (or equivalent) in maths & English is desired but not essential to the role
- Upon successful completion of apprenticeship, to become a junior grower
Things to consider
- 7.30am starts and weekend and bank holiday working could be required
About the employer
Volmary specialises in the production of quality young plants and was founded over fifty years ago. We pride ourselves on offering a top-quality product and a high-quality service to all of our customers. We operate from two sites adjacent to Wisbech St. Mary in Cambridgeshire. Our main site has 57 acres of land, and 16 acres of new glass. The glass is very efficiently laid out, with the latest in computer controls and equipment (including under-ground and above-ground heating, lighting, shades, sprinklers, and automatic ventilation) to provide optimal growing conditions. Volmary is also home to the pioneering £400,000 horticultural training centre, which is the result of a joint initiative with Fenland District Council and the Cambridgeshire Enterprise Partnership. All your training will be delivered in these state-of-the-art facilities. We employ around 100 full time employees and in the peak season we can employ more than 200 people. We pride ourselves on offering excellent employment for local people.
UNIVERSITY ACADEMY HOLBEACH
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by University Academy Holbeach
Tasmin Chapman 01406 423042 Tasmin.Chapman-Malkin@uah.org.uk
- Level 2 in Horticulture
- Functional Skills in maths, English and ICT (if required)
- Employer Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
Horticulture or landscape operative
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.