Carpentry Apprentice Penquite Construction
Penquite Construction is looking for a Carpentry Apprentice to join his busy team in Plymouth. The successful candidate will be working towards the Level 2 Carpentry & Joinery Standard.
Closing date: 24 Aug 2021
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
31 Aug 2021
07 Aug 2020
Level 2 (GCSE)
Candidates must be good team players with the motivation to succeed within a busy construction industry. The ideal candidate will be involved in a variety of duties such as building and constructing wooden frameworks and learn how to make stud walls, fit doors, skirting boards and make door frames to name a few.
As an apprentice you will be working in a very supportive close team. You will need to be able to understand instructions quickly and precisely and work to deadlines on all tasks. You will need to be physically strong in order to meet the demands of the role.
Your duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Your job will include working with large heavy materials and cutting them to certain specific shapes to design plans
- You will learn how to make stud wall fixings, stairwells and fitted furniture
- You will work with a variety of tools and equipment within this role including saws, power tools, hammers and shaping equipment
- You will be shown how to use all specialised tools and equipment correctly and safely, having a focused approach at all times
You will need to be able to work well within an experienced team, and work closely with other skilled tradesman, where you may have the opportunity to learn additional skills and gain further knowledge. You will be supervised by a qualified member of staff and as part of your duties you must follow Health and Safety procedures in the workplace at all times. You must wear the correct personal protection equipment whilst on site and will be required to make sure that all tools and equipment used are put away correctly at the end of each day.
Requirements and prospects
- The successful candidate will need to be motivated, hardworking and enjoy outdoor physical work to succeed, so stamina is vital for this role as it is quite demanding
- You need to have good hand eye coordination skills and show a focused approach to the job, with an attention for detail and quality finish
- Excellent time keeping and attendance are also desirable, with good communication skills to work well within a team
- The ideal candidate will need to be physically fit and show a keen interest to progress for this demanding role
- You must be confident when working at heights, as this role will involve working on top of secured scaffolding and platform towers
- You will need to show the enthusiasm and willingness to learn and develop your skills, with the aim to secure full time employment and be fully qualified at the end of your apprenticeship programme
Qualifications required for this role include GCSE’s grades A – E in maths and English, or equivalent qualification.
After completing a Level 2 in Site Carpentry there will be an opportunity to progress onto an advanced Level 3 qualification.
About the employer
Penquite Construction is based in Saltash who work in surrounding areas. The employer has been working in the trade for a long time and would like to pass on knowledge to an apprentice.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Skills to Group Ltd
Lauren Patterson 01752 332442
- Level 2 Carpentry & Joinery Standard (Site)
- Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment test – CSCS Test
- Functional Skills in maths and English if required
As part of the apprenticeship programme, attendance is required at our Skills Group training centre for one day per week. All other aspects of the qualification will be delivered on-site by the employer. You will have regular visits every six to eight weeks from your designated Skills Group assessor, who will monitor your progress during your apprenticeship training.
Whilst at the Skills Group training centre, you will learn the necessary skills and gain experience to help you throughout your role. Part of your training will be knowledge and theory based, whilst the rest will be practical.
As an additional qualification you will also achieve your Emergency First Aid and Health and Safety Certificate, along with Internet Safety and Safeguarding.
As part of your apprenticeship Skills Group will also support you to complete your online CSCS test, which will enable you to apply for your CSCS Card. This shows that you are at the required competent level to carry out site work with the employer.
Carpentry and joinery
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.