Bricklaying Apprentice Josh Bragg
Josh Bragg is looking for an Apprentice Bricklayer to join his team in Plymouth. Work while you qualify for your level 2 Bricklayer Standard.
Closing date: 24 Aug 2021
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
31 Aug 2021
21 Jul 2020
Level 2 (GCSE)
Josh Bragg works on new build properties in the Devon and Cornwall area.
Main duties will include:
- Applying and sealing foundations with materials that are damp-resistant
- You will be spreading and removing excess mortar
- Inspecting vertical and horizontal brick alignment
- You will be applying bricks, blocks and pavers in lines or following decorative patterns or designs
- clearing up workspace after each day and cleaning tools
You will be working alongside other builders so will also pick up experience in other home improvement activities that are carried out.
Due to the nature of the work, a CSCS card is required to be able to get onto the building site, training on this will be given if you pass the interview stage with Skills Group.
Requirements and prospects
The successful candidate will need to be motivated
- You need to have good hand eye coordination skills and show a focused approach to the job in hand, with an attention for detail and quality finish
- Excellent time keeping and attendance are also desirable
- With good communication skills to work well within a team.
- The ideal candidate will need to be able to cope with the physically demands of the role and show a keen interest to progress for this demanding role
- Enjoy outdoor physical work to succeed, so stamina is vital for this role as it is quite demanding
- You must be confident when working at heights, as this role will involve working on top of secured scaffolding and platform towers
- You will need to show the enthusiasm and willingness to learn and develop your skills, with the aim to secure full time employment and be fully qualified at the end of you apprenticeship programme
Qualifications required for this role include GCSE’s grades A–E 9/3 in maths and English, or equivalent qualification.
On completion of your Level 2 apprenticeship with the company, an opportunity to apply for a full time post may be offered to the right candidate.
About the employer
Josh Bragg is an established company based in Devon and Cornwall. The work they do takes them all over Devon and Cornwall and mainly consists of block and brick work, normally on new build sites and occasionally stone work.
Josh Bragg has supported a handful of apprentices through their Level 2 and 3 qualifications. This employer is keen to invest in teaching new bricklayers all they need to know to become a fully qualified bricklayer.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Skills to Group Ltd
Skills Group 01752 332442
The Apprenticeship in Bricklaying consists of:
- Level 2 Bricklayer Standard
- Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment test – CSCS Test
- As an additional qualification you will also achieve your Emergency First Aid and Health and Safety Certificate, along with Internet Safety and Safeguarding.
As part of the apprenticeship programme, attendance is required at our Skills Group training centre for one day per week. All other aspects of the qualification will be delivered on-site by the employer. You will have regular visits every six to eight weeks from your designated Skills Group assessor, who will monitor your progress during your apprenticeship training.
Whilst at the Skills Group training centre, you will learn the necessary skills and gain experience to help you throughout your role. Part of your training will be knowledge and theory based, whilst the rest will be practical.
You will develop your practical skills, carry out brick and block work, learn the correct use of specific tools, carry out pointing and learn mortar ratio mixes under the guidance of your assessor. Learning all these additional skills will benefit you on returning to the employer.
As part of your apprenticeship Skills Group will also support you to complete your online CSCS test, which will enable you to apply for your CSCS Card. This shows that you are at the required competent level to carry out site work with the employer.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.