Apprentice Dental Nurse Qamar Dental
Dental nurses are required to work as part of a dental team to assist in the delivery of dental care services to patients. Most particularly by providing support and assistance to the designated clinician or therapist. To assist in clinical and non-clinical aspects of client care in line with practice procedures.
Closing date: 17 Dec 2021
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
20 Dec 2021
23 Jul 2019
Level 3 (A level)
Working towards a level 3 in Dental Nursing and applicants must be committed and have a keen interest in a career in Dental Nursing and be prepared to help in other areas of the practice.
Dental nurses are required to work as part of a dental team to assist in the delivery of dental care services to patients. Most particularly by providing support and assistance to the designated clinician or therapist. To assist in clinical and non clinical aspects of client care in line with practice procedures.
- To assist the dentist/hygienist in all clinical procedures
- To assist in planning appointments to avoid delaying both patients and clinicians.
- To ensure that the surgical areas and equipment are regularly cleaned and maintained including aspiration systems, autoclaves & washer disinfector. Paying all due attention to relevant legal and ethical codes, in addition to the practice policy in respect of cross infection control and health & safety
- To keep accurate records and ensure the recording methods are used in line with agreed practice policy and current medico-legal guidelines
- To advise the Practice Manager/Senior Nurse of any faulty or poorly functioning equipment so that action may be taken to remedy any defects
- Keep the clinical areas and all equipment and instruments clean, tidy and sterile as appropriate according to the practices health & safety and infection control procedures and manufactures instructions
- Handle and store all substance in accordance with Health & Safety policies
- Be familiar and comply with all Health & Safety rules and guidance, including Manual Handling, Waste disposable, Visual Screen, PPE, COSH
- To take all reasonable measures to ensure patient comfort
- Advising patients on pre/post instruction on treatment plan
- To maintain patient confidentiality. (This includes preventing medical histories, treatment proposals, conversations, financial transactions, reactions to treatment being overheard)
- To record stock drawings and maintain records to ensure that materials/stationery are never out of stock
- To make certain that an efficient link with the dental laboratory is upheld to prevent delays in the dispatch and receipt of work
- To follow practice Health & Safety codes in all aspects including handling/taking x-rays, mercury handling, resuscitation, emergency procedures and fire drill
- To maintain and increase competence in nursing skills by actively following a programme of continuous professional development
- To carry out any other duties requested by the employer to ensure that patients receive a high quality of patient care. To be flexible with your duties to ensure the smooth running of the practice
- Attend and participate in practice meetings
- Security of premises at the end of working sessions, including a safety checks to ensure that equipment is appropriately switched off and disconnected
Requirements and prospects
- Relevant experience of working in a general dental practice, hospital or community service
- Computer literacy
- Effective communication with people both work colleagues and the general public
- Team player with strong relationship building skills both internally and externally
- Pro-active approach – Initiative with consultation
- Diligent with good written and oral communication skills
- Friendly and pleasant manner
- Able to build relationships with both colleagues and patients
- Calm under pressure
- Able to reassure when dealing with nervous patients
- Able to handle college and practice workload
You must have a GCSE grade 4/C or above in maths and English to apply for this position or equivalent
Applications will not be put forward without proof of desired qualifications as stated above
Candidates can continue to study further and enrol on Level 4 programmes such as Radiography or Oral Health Education, or work their way into practice management
Things to consider
You will be dealing with nervous patients and possibly blood/bad oral hygiene
About the employer
We take great pride in the quality of our dentistry and dedicate our time to creating and protecting beautiful smiles. We will work with you to provide care that meets your needs and wishes. We will explain options, where appropriate, and costs so that you can make an informal choice.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Sandwell College
Laura Hancox 01216675018 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Advanced Level Dental Nurse Apprenticeship Standard
- Work based training and support towards achieving an Advanced Apprenticeship in Dental Nursing
- Successful completion will allow the candidate to register with the General Dental Council
Dental nurse (integrated)
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.