Apprentice Floor Layer & Fitter Browns Flooring
Browns Flooring based in Leeds are looking to employ a new apprentice(s) to join their flooring installation/carpet fitting team. The ideal candidate needs to be enthusiastic, willing to learn and develop new skills.
Closing date: 22 Oct 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
20 Nov 2017
09 Oct 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
If you enjoy practical work this could be just the job you are looking for. Carpet fitting and floor laying can be physically demanding a good deal of strength and fitness as heavy lifting is an everyday part of the job. To be a carpet fitter or floor layer, you will need to have good Maths skills and the ability to measure accurately in order to work out floor areas, quantities and costs. Apprentices will require the ability to work quickly and accurately, and need a polite and pleasant manner for dealing with customers and the general public.
Most carpet fitters start out by joining a company and training on the job. They may not need any set qualifications, but employers will expect them to have practical skills and be good with numbers in order to work out quantities and areas.
Successful candidates will be able to start this career through our Apprenticeship Scheme
The Candidate will be required to pass the CSkills CSCS Health & Safety Environment test, Training test and application will be provided to the successful candidates.
Duties would include:
- Measuring floor space and estimating the of materials needed
- Clearing away furniture and taking off doors
- Removing old flooring
- Cleaning, levelling and sealing the work area
- Gluing or nailing underlay and floor coverings into place
- Stretching carpet over spiked gripper rods and taping
- Heat-sealing joins and edges on vinyl flooring
- Spraying or waxing the floor covering to give it a protective coating
- Putting furniture back and trimming and re-hanging doors
You'll usually work as part of a team of 2 or 3 people.
Requirements and prospects
- Own transport would be preferred but not essential
- The ideal candidate will be polite and take pride in their appearance, they must be willing to work hard, listen and learn
- There are no qualification requirements although good maths skills will be advantageous.
- Funding will not be available for candidates that hold a qualification equal to or higher than a Level 4
Things to consider
About the employer
- C-skills Awards Level 2 NVQ Diploma in floor coverings textiles and impervious
- C-skills Awards Level 2 Diploma in floor coverings textiles and impervious
- Functional Skills Mathematics
- Functional Skills English
- Employer Rights Responsibilities
CONSTRUCTION AND PLANT ASSESSMENTS LTD
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Construction And Plant Assessments Ltd
Leah Jackson 01709 868181 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 22 Oct 2017