APPRENTICE TEACHING ASSISTANT Percy Main Primary School
To work under the direct instruction of the teaching/senior staff. Prepare classroom as directed for lessons and clear up afterwards and assist with the display of pupils’ work. Be aware of pupil problems/progress/achievements and report to the teacher. Support the teacher in managing pupil behaviour, reporting difficulties.
Closing date: 30 Oct 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
13 Nov 2017
06 Oct 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Main duties would include:
- To work under the direct instruction of the teaching/senior staff, usually in the classroom with the teacher, to support access to learning for pupils and provide general support to the teacher in the management of pupils and the classroom.
Support for Pupils:
- Attend to the pupils’ personal needs and implement related personal programmes including social, health, physical, hygiene, first aid and welfare matters
- Supervise and support pupils ensuring their safety and access to learning
- Establish good relationships with pupils, acting as a role model, and being aware of, and responding appropriately to, individual needs
- Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils
- Encourage pupils to interact with others and engage in activities led by the teacher
- Encourage pupils to act independently, as appropriate
- Support for the Teachers
- Prepare classroom as directed for lessons and clear up afterwards and assist with the display of pupils’ work
- Be aware of pupil problems/progress/achievements and report to the teacher, as agreed
- Undertake pupil record keeping, as requested
- Support the teacher in managing pupil behaviour, reporting difficulties, as appropriate
- Gather/report information from/to parents/carers, as directed
- Provide clerical/admin support e g photocopying, typing, filing, collecting money etc
Support for the Curriculum:
- Support pupils to understand instructions
- Support pupils in respect of local and national learning strategies e g literacy, numeracy, KS1/KS2, early years, as directed by the teacher
- Support pupils in using basic ICT, as directed
- Prepare and maintain equipment/resources as directed by the teacher and assist pupils in their use
Support for the School:
- Be aware of, and comply with, policies and procedures relating to child protection, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person
- Be aware of and support difference and ensure all pupils have equal access to opportunities to learn and develop
- Contribute to the overall ethos/work/aims of the school
- Appreciate and support the role of other professionals
- Attend relevant meetings, as required
- Participate in training and other learning activities and performance development, as required
- Assist with the supervision of pupils out of lesson times including before and after school and at lunchtimes
- Accompany teaching staff and pupils on visits, trips and out of school activities, as required. Teaching Assistant giving support across school to staff and pupils under the direction of senior staff
Requirements and prospects
- The desire to work with children.
- Basic computer skills, mobile devices e.g. IPads and knowledge of MS Office
- Good time keeping
- Attention to detail
- Able to work as a Team
- Initiative and Prioritising
- A positive “can do” attitude
- Willingness to learn
- Lots of enthusiasm
- Polite, friendly and helpful
- Good concentration levels
GSCE English and Maths at grade C or above (or equivalent) is essential.
Things to consider
About the employer
Functional Skills in English, Mathematics and ICT (If necessary. On the job training delivered in-house, off the job training at the Training Providers premises to be delivered on day or block release as determined at interview. All training to be done during contracted hours. Teaching assistant level 2 qualification
Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools
NORTH TYNESIDE METROPOLITAN BOROUGH COUNCIL
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by North Tyneside Council
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 30 Oct 2017