Apprentice Premises Assistant St Nicholas School
To be conversant with the school’s Health and Safety policy. To complete COSHH training. Opening and closing of buildings. Secure the site and assist in site emergency and evacuation procedures. Set up rooms for events e.g. open evenings. To carry out cleaning of the school including toilet areas, outside litter removal, clearing.
Closing date: 27 Oct 2017
Total hours per week: 36.00
Possible start date
30 Oct 2017
03 Oct 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
To ensure the Health and Safety of the staff and pupils at all times and be conversant with the school’s Health and Safety policy. To complete COSHH training.
Ensure that the facilities, such as security and maintenance run smoothly so the school can operate effectively. Supporting and overseeing electrical, mechanical, heating and grounds works. Managing the security systems, fire systems. Opening and closing of buildings. Secure the site and assist in site emergency and evacuation procedures. Set up rooms and support the coordination of events e.g. open evenings.
Deal with enquiries from members of staff, contractors and members of the public. To carry out cleaning of the school including toilet areas, outside litter removal, clearing.
To carry out necessary minor repairs, fixing where possible or making safe until qualified personnel can be called in. Communicating with contractors and dealing with building maintenance contracts for work carried out in school.
Oversee work being carried out on-site taking into account safety, work specifications etc. Organise and take delivery of stock.
Be aware of, and making any necessary arrangements to for the utility systems including reading energy meters and monitoring heating systems. Identify defects, collate and analyse information and prepare verbal and written reports.
Comply with the policies and procedures relating to child protection, equality and diversity, health, safety and security, confidentiality and data protection, reporting all concerns to an appropriate person.
To carry out other duties as directed by Site Manager / SLT.
Requirements and prospects
- A valid working visa/legal right to work in the UK
- Willing and able to complete all learning and assessment requirements of the relevant framework
- Able to establish good working relationships with staff, pupils’ parents and outside agencies
- Ability to travel to work
- Ability to use ICT (i.e. email, Excel, Word etc.)
- Strong communication skills (verbally, face to face, on the phone and in writing)
- Good listening skills, ability to understand and use initiative to solve problems but knowing when to stop and ask.
- Good awareness of safeguarding. Able to respond appropriately to children with learning difficulties.
- Interest in premises/site management.
- Team player with a ‘can do’ attitude.
- Some flexibility for occasional work outside of hours i.e. emergencies and events.
- Work well under pressure.
- Ability to work outdoors in all weathers and cope with the physical demands of the job, there will be some lifting, carrying and cleaning involved.
- General plumbing, electrical, DIY and carpentry skills would be an advantage.
Hold GCSE Grade C or above in English and Maths. Alternatively hold Level 1 Functional Skills in Maths and English.
Things to consider
About the employer
Level 2 Facilities Management
JOHN RUSKIN COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by John Ruskin College
Kathy Morgan 0208 651 1131 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 27 Oct 2017