Higher Laboratory Scientist Apprenticeship CHARLES RIVER DISCOVERY RESEARCH SERVICES UK LIMITED
The Laboratory Scientist Apprentice will carry out scientific experiments and perform a variety of technical support functions in the Chemistry or Biology Department that will directly impact the discovery and development of novel drug products for the pharmaceutical sector.
Closing date: 28 Sep 2017
Total hours per week: 38.00
Possible start date
01 Nov 2017
07 Sep 2017
Degree Level Apprenticeship
The Laboratory Scientist Apprentice will carry out scientific experiments and perform a variety of technical support functions in the Chemistry or Biology Department that will directly impact the research and development of novel drug discovery products for the pharmaceutical sector.
Attention to detail and quality and accuracy of work are paramount in this role. The apprentice must have the desire and ability to learn new techniques and to become adept with new technology.
Laboratory scientists will be expected to work safely and ethically to ensure the quality and safety of our products. They will be expected to work both individually and as part of a laboratory team. With experience, they will be able to work with minimum supervision, taking responsibility for the quality and accuracy of their work.
At the end of the Apprenticeship, the Apprentice will be able to:
- Manage their time effectively, being able to plan and complete work to schedule
- Apply knowledge of underlying scientific principles in laboratory-based experimentation and implement new processes
- Demonstrate and explain the principles of laboratory techniques and scientific experimentation to contribute to the development of scientific technical projects
- Develop and apply a theoretical knowledge of the advanced science and technology required to progress in the job role and relevant area of specialism
- Comply with standard operating procedures (SOPs) including compliance with good record keeping & confidentiality.
- Understand the business environment in which the company operates including their personal role within the organisation, ethical practice and codes of conduct
- Identify and understand the requirements of internal or external customers and recommend the appropriate workflows, improvements or scientific solutions
- Prepare for and perform laboratory tasks using the appropriate scientific techniques, procedures and methods of relevance to the activities of the laboratory
- Work safely within a laboratory environment, maintaining excellent housekeeping whilst following appropriate safety, environment and risk management systems
- Promote and ensure the application of quality standards relevant to the workplace
- Work independently to analyse, interpret and evaluate scientific data and present the results of laboratory work and problem solving clearly and concisely in written and oral form
- Lead continuous performance improvement within the scientific and technical environment
- Use creative thinking and problem solving to challenge assumptions, innovate, make new proposals and build on existing ideas
- Plan and prioritise tasks, review and evaluate progress against objectives and investigate alternative scenarios
- Communicate effectively using a full range of skills: speaking to a scientific and non-scientific audience, active listening, professional writing, professional body language, scientific presentation
- Demonstrate reliability, integrity and respect for confidentiality on work related and personal matters, including appropriate use of social media and information systems
- Work autonomously and interact effectively within a wide, multi-disciplinary project team.
- Understand the impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
- Able to handle change and respond to change management processes
- Take responsibility for personal development, demonstrating commitment to learning and self-improvement.
Requirements and prospects
- Work and interact effectively within a team
- Work independently and take responsibility for initiating and completing tasks
- Understand impact of work on others, especially where related to diversity and equality
- Time management and ability to complete work to schedule
- Ability to handle change and respond to change management processes
- Communicate effectively using a full range of skills: speaking; listening; writing; body language; presentation
- Understanding and commitment to Science
- Show aptitude to working in a team
- PLEASE DO NOT APPLY IF YOU ALEADY HOLD A DEGREE IN A SIMILAR SUBJECT - you will be ineligible to apply
- You should possess a minimum of 5 GCSEs (or equivalent) - grades A - C including Science, Maths and English
- You should have gained a minimum of 80 UCAS points from a minimum of 2 A-level subjects including either Chemistry or Biology - or equivalent, eg BTEC National Diplomas, IB or DVCE
Things to consider
About the employer
CHARLES RIVER DISCOVERY RESEARCH SERVICES UK LIMITED
- Foundation Degree in Chemical Science/Bioscience
- New Standard Laboratory Scientist Higher Qualification
Life and Industrial Sciences > Laboratory Scientist
THE UNIVERSITY OF KENT
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by THE UNIVERSITY OF KENT
Ms E Kelly 01634 888459 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 28 Sep 2017