Student Services Administrative Assistant Apprentice, Nottingham UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM
The Student Services department specialises in providing the administrative services necessary to underpin the student lifecycle, from initial University registration to graduation.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017
Total hours per week: 36.25
Possible start date
14 Oct 2017
11 Sep 2017
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
Apprentices will have the opportunity to work alongside colleagues in a variety of teams within Student Services, including those managing the administration of programmes, assessments and student support, in both School locations and Service Centres.
Assist and gain experience with one of the four Student Services Delivery Teams:
- University Park Central
- University Park East
- QMC/Sutton Bonington
- Supporting general office duties: incoming/outgoing mail admin
- Responding to email correspondence and telephone queries from students and staff, typing of correspondence, photocopying, scanning; production of course materials
- Supporting activity in Schools
- Using a number of different systems to maintain student records e.g. changes in circumstances, processing assessment and examination results, suspensions, transfers, withdrawals
- Attendance Monitoring
- Electronic calendar management including scheduling of meetings
- Arrangement of video conferences
- Arrangement of catering for meetings and events
- Assist and gain experience of admin associated with Student Services supported University events – such as registration, graduation and open days
- Assist and gain experience in front of house of a Student Service Centre
- General front desk skills
- Handling of face to face student enquiries
- Responding to emails and phone calls
- Liaising with other teams to provide appropriate responses or materials to students.
- Spend time working in at least one other Student Services team to give variety of experience and support a different area of work.
- Training with other apprentices at University of Nottingham, outside of working environment, with learning partners and within our own Staff Development unit.
Taken independently by the role holder:
- Providing routine advice to students and staff.
- Working to a high standard of accuracy and presentation.
- Organising day-to-day activities, prioritising own tasks within agreed timescales.
- Demonstrating initiative and confidence
Taken in collaboration with others;
- Planning of work and advice about more complex queries will be in partnership with team members.
Referred to the appropriate line manager by the role holder:
- Resolution of queries relating to issues outside of knowledge base.
- Queries relating to financial or management issues.
- Management of workload/priorities.
- Team issues.
Applicants will be required to attend an Assessment Centre with Vision Apprentices as part of the screening process.
Requirements and prospects
- Willingness to learn new skills.
- A keen interest in working within the education sector
- A basic understanding of the HE sector
- Ability to manage own workload, with minimal supervision, to prioritise tasks and work to deadlines.
- Experience of working in an office environment.
- Confident use of a computer, knowledge and demonstrated use of Microsoft Office packages including good knowledge of Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Excellent written, verbal communication and interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team.
GCSE Grades A to C or equivalent are essential, specifically Maths and English. 2017 grading system, grade 9 – grade 4
Things to consider
About the employer
UNIVERSITY OF NOTTINGHAM
Vision Business is part of the West Nottinghamshire College Group. West Nottinghamshire College is one of the largest and most successful colleges in the country with a well-earned reputation for excellence particularly in the areas of apprenticeships. The college was named a national Beacon College in 2009. With 30,000 students nationwide and links with over 2,000 employers, we are a high-profile centre of education that is well known for producing work-ready, ambitious and highly-skilled individuals. We offer apprenticeships, advanced apprenticeships and adult apprenticeships in a range of sector specialisms.
An apprenticeship is an on the job learning programme that allows you, the apprentice, to earn a wage, gain valuable work experience and industry specific competence. You will be expected to work towards theory elements in addition to putting the theory into practice, some of this will be in your own time.
As part of your apprenticeship and dependent on your prior attainment you may be required to complete Maths, English and ICT Functional Skills which are an integral part of your apprenticeship. Upon successful completion you will be awarded additional certificates of recognition.
Vision Business will also work with you to ensure your knowledge of Employment Rights and Responsibilities are at the required level for an apprentice.
Should you have any questions or wish to discuss this or any other vacancy please call the Vision Apprentices team on 01623 627191 extension 8799.
Business and Administration
VISION WEST NOTTINGHAMSHIRE COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Vision West Nottinghamshire College
Lee Speed 01623627191 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017