Dairy Farm Apprentice A L Sayers (Holbeton) Limited
This is your chance to earn as you learn! If you are passionate about agriculture and enjoy working outdoors this could be the perfect apprenticeship for you!
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
05 Oct 2017
04 Sep 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
The apprentice would be working within a business bursting with opportunity. Prodominently livestock based. Must have livestock experience and underpinning knowledge.
Tractor licence is desired.
Milking starts at 5am and afternoon milking starts at 3pm and finishes around 6pm.
Daily job roles will include:
- Milking – regularity would be discussed upon start of role.
- Support with rearing of calves and heifers (Feb-April mostly).
- Feeding and bedding animals.
- Scraping – cleaning bedding cubicles - minimal.
- Monitoring feed and water.
- General yard work.
- Farm maintenance and fencing.
- TB testing and helping farmer with vaccinating when necessary.
- Feeding and checking outdoor cattle.
- Minimal tractor roles will include: daily scraping, rolling, topping, hauling bales, trailer work and dung spreading.
You will learn on the job and gain an industry recognised qualification. As with all farming jobs you will need to love the industry, working with animals and working outside in ALL weathers. You will need to be very reliable and punctual; farming is an industry where hard graft and good attitude is needed.
Requirements and prospects
Tractor licence is desired or would like gained if successful with job application.
- Attention to detail
- Use of initiative
- Enjoy practical work
- Able to cope with the physical demands of the job
- Able to undertake manual and heavy work
- Able to handle animals with confidence and patience
- Enjoy working outdoors
- Able to work for long hours and in all kinds of weather conditions
- Able to work both in a team and with limited social contact
- Be a keen practical and theoretical learner who acts responsibly at all times
- Use of own initiative
- Have physical strength
- Good problem solver
- Good at data entry processing
- Can work well in a team
- Good sense of humour
English and Maths GCSE (or equivalent) grades D+ are essential.
Things to consider
About the employer
A L Sayers (Holbeton) Limited
On-the-job training will be provided by experienced staff at the workplace, with traditional college attendance at Duchy College Stoke Climsland one day per week.
The apprenticeship training is overseen by Duchy College and you will undertake:
- Work Based Level 2 Diploma in Agriculture
- Level 2 Technical Certificate
- Level 1 Functional Skills in English and Maths
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Duchy College
Recruitment Team 0845 6099599
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2017