Commis Chef Apprentice Halesowen College
This is a wonderful opportunity to start work as an Apprentice Chef. You will assist in the preparation, cooking and presentation of food to ensure customers enjoy consistently excellent dishes. Working in the kitchen is hard, but should be hugely rewarding, and a great way to develop your skills as a chef.
Closing date: 24 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
02 Oct 2017
01 Sep 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Working in the kitchen is hard, but should be hugely rewarding, and a great way to develop your skills as a chef. If you join us we hope that you will really enjoy it. If you do, and we enjoy having you here, we hope you stay with us and work your way up through the ranks.
All Head Chefs have to start as someone’s apprentice!
- Assisting with the preparation, cooking, and presentation of food to the highest standard.
- Complying with and having full knowledge of regulations regarding our clients Health and Safety policy.
- Operating ovens, stoves, grills, microwaves and fryers and other various kitchen utensils and equipment to prepare foods.
- Preparing and cooking food according to recipes and quality standards.
- Monitoring the quantity of food that is prepared including portioning, chopping and storing food before use.
- Setting up and breaking down your work station.
- Storing items appropriately and cleaning your work station as you go.
- Undertaking any reasonable duties assigned by senior members of the team you will receive the training and mentoring you need to do this.
- Food hygiene, Health and Safety training will be provided in house.
- You must be eligible to work in the UK.
- Working in the kitchen, you will need to have attention to detail, be punctual and consistent in following procedures and instructions.
- You will also need to have a positive attitude, remain calm under pressure, and contribute to a happy team environment.
- You should be self-motivated, good at listening and keen to learn new skills and ideas.
Requirements and prospects
- Confidentiality is of prime importance in the normal course of duty
- Able to use initiative
- Good organisational skills
- Good communications skills
- Team player
- Empathetic nature
GCSE English Language Grade D, plus 2 GCSE Grade Es including Maths or equivalent.
Things to consider
About the employer
You will be expected to attend Halesowen College 1 day per week to work towards your Level 2 Catering.
Functional Skills in Maths and English (if required).
You will be trained and supervised by the chef trainer assessor in the kitchen of the @b63 restaurant, at Halesowen College.
Hospitality > Commis Chef
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Halesowen College
Deb Maley 01216027784 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 24 Sep 2017