Apprentice Laboratory Support Technician University of Oxford
Becoming an apprentice at the University of Oxford is an excellent opportunity to gain practical experience and training. You will work alongside experienced colleagues, whilst learning on the job you will study for formal qualifications in your field.
Closing date: 28 Sep 2017
Total hours per week: 36.50
Possible start date
09 Oct 2017
31 Aug 2017
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
This is an exciting opportunity to undertake an Apprenticeship at one of the leading UK university departments dedicated to research and teaching in plant biology. You will contribute to the daily organisational tasks in running our ‘state of the art’ research laboratories and scientific buildings. You will be trained in a range of technical activities by working alongside administrative staff, technical staff, researchers and postgraduate students. Your work will range from general laboratory housekeeping, to understanding the management of scientific equipment, Health & Safety within the work place, purchasing equipment/supplies and participating in research experiments learning the most up to date techniques within clinical medicine.
You will complete a Level 3 Advanced Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship delivered by CSR Group who are based at Milton Park, Abingdon. You will gain a BTEC Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science qualification.
In addition to this you will have access to a number of relevant in house training courses run by the University training provider Oxford Learning Institute, Health & Safety Office and Oxford University Computing Services for IT skills.
College attendance and successful completion of these studies is an essential requirement of this Apprenticeship.
- Learn to perform a range of scientific procedures including: cell culture, plant culture, microscopy and standard biochemical techniques.
- Develop the skills and knowledge to store and organise samples and record results in a clear and organised fashion
- Learn how to maintain good laboratory practice
- Communicate basic information and answer general enquiries
- Learn how to use, enter and maintain information on databases
- Provide assistance in the day-to-day running of the laboratory learning a wide range of related skills and knowledge.
- Learn to carry out routine biological practices, e.g. sterilisation, autoclaving/washing glassware and apparatus, media preparation, re-stocking etc., perform quality checks and contribute to the general cleanliness and upkeep of the laboratory space
- Keep up to date with and advise on matters relating to Good Laboratory Practice (GLP), Health and Safety and other regulations relevant to the post
Requirements and prospects
- IT literacy, including skills in word processing, spreadsheets and e-mail programmes
- Able to communicate easily and understandably in English
- Able to demonstrate an aptitude for the skills taught in the apprenticeship (for example through work experience, qualifications or references)
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and willingness to work flexibly
- Excellent attention to detail
Essential selection criteria
- Minimum of 4 GCSEs or the equivalent at Grade C or above, including Maths, Science and English
Desirable selection criteria
- GCSE at Grade C or above in Biology or related subject
Things to consider
About the employer
Additional location information
A Level 3 apprenticeship standard - Laboratory Technician
Life and Industrial Sciences > Laboratory Technician
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Crime Scene Resources Ltd
Sally Williams 07970330792 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Closing date: 28 Sep 2017