Bricklaying Apprentice Jamie Preston
This is a fantastic opportunity for an individual to get practical experience whilst earning a wage and gaining a nationally recognised qualification in bricklaying.
Closing date: 09 Oct 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
16 Oct 2017
18 Aug 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Throughout the apprenticeship programme you will be taught by a qualified member of staff, they will teach you the skills and knowledge you need to know to successfully complete the bricklaying qualification.
The successful apprentice will learn how to:
- Use all the specialist hand tools, machinery and power tools associated with this role
- Show attention to detail, as this will be required when cutting and aligning bricks and slabs
- Use all the necessary power tools and cutting equipment safely and correctly by a qualified member of the team.
You will be involved in applying and sealing foundations with materials that are damp-resistant and spreading and removing excess mortar. When working with bricks you will also learn how to inspect vertical and horizontal brick alignment. You will learn how to build arches and brick structures along with repairing and restoring brick structures.
Throughout your training you will also be made aware of Health and Safety procedures in the work place, as well as ensuring that you clean and put away all tools and equipment used throughout the day correctly.
Requirements and prospects
- Keen to pursue an apprenticeship in Bricklaying
- Able to take instructions from others and have the drive to succeed
- Along with this you will need good communication skills and work well within a team
- You must also possess excellent time keeping and attendance.
- You will need to be physically fit and highly motivated to carry out this exciting and demanding role
- You will have a keen interest in the construction industry, and enjoy working in all kinds of weathers
Qualifications required for this role include GCSE grades A – E in Maths and English, or equivalent qualifications.
Things to consider
About the employer
The Apprenticeship in Trowel Occupations consists of:
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Trowel Occupations
- Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying
- Functional Skills in Maths and English (Level 1)
- Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment test – CSCS Test
- Emergency First Aid
- Certified Health and Safety Course
- Internet Safety / Safeguarding
As part of the apprenticeship programme, attendance is required at our Skills Group training centre for one day per week. All other aspects of the qualification will be delivered on-site by the employer. You will have regular visits every six to eight weeks from your designated Skills Group assessor, who will monitor your progress during your apprenticeship training.
Whilst at the Skills Group training centre, you will learn the necessary skills and gain experience to help you throughout your role. Part of your training will be knowledge and theory based, whilst the rest will be practical. You will develop your hand skills, carry out brick and block work, learn the correct use of specific tools, carry out pointing and learn mortar ratio mixes under the guidance of your assessor. Learning all these additional skills will benefit you on returning to the employer.
As an additional qualification you will also achieve your Emergency First Aid and Health and Safety Certificate, along with Internet Safety and Safeguarding.
As part of your apprenticeship Skills Group will also support you to complete your online CSCS test, which will enable you to apply for your CSCS Card. This shows that you are at the required competent level to carry out site work with the employer.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Skills to Group Ltd
Olivia 01752 332442
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 09 Oct 2017