Flooring Apprenticeship David Thomas Redwood
An exciting Flooring Apprenticeship opportunity has arisen for a flooring apprentice in Plymstock.
Closing date: 09 Oct 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
16 Oct 2017
08 Aug 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
In the early days of your flooring career you will be expected to learn the ropes of the business and a variety of flooring tasks. The more experienced you are, the more responsibilities and tasks you will pick up.
The first skills you will learn will be sub floor preparation to include:
- Underlay and grippering which is required for each job.
- When you have picked up the basic tasks, you will start to learn more about the materials and floor coverings used and how to fit them.
- The types of flooring you will be dealing with is carpets, vinyls, laminate, luxury vinyl tiles and artificial grass, which is a fantastic and up and coming trend.
- When you have built up the skills required, you will be given more tasks which can include measuring up the rooms and speaking to customers about the types of flooring you are fitting.
- You will be required to take instruction from Jason and work closely with him to gain as much experience and knowledge as possible throughout the early days of your flooring career.
Requirements and prospects
The successful candidate will have good listening skills, hand-eye coordination and good Maths and English skills. You will be a good communicator with the ability to use your own initiative.
You will be reliable and friendly with good personable skills. You will be hard working and be able to work as part of a team.
GCSE grades A-E is desired.
Things to consider
About the employer
David Thomas Redwood
The Apprenticeship in Floorcovering consists of:
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Floorcovering Occupations
- Level 2 Diploma in Floorcovering – Textile and Impervious
- Functional Skills in Maths and English (Level 1)
- Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment test – CSCS Test
- Emergency First Aid
- Certified Health and Safety Course
- Internet Safety / Safeguarding
Attendance is required at our our Skills Group training centre on 1 week block release sessions, every 8 weeks as part of your training course. When you are with us you learn sub-floor preparation, carpet fitting, floor tiling, impervious and vinyl to help develop your hand skills and these sessions are set out over six visits.
We provide your accommodation, food and collection to and from the training centre whilst with us for these weeks. You have the opportunity to carry out tasks using our indispensable high quality materials ensuring when you return to your employer the following week you have improved your hand skills as well as having a greater knowledge of each area of floorlaying.
You will be supported throughout your training by one of our dedicated assessors. As an additional qualification, you will also achieve Emergency First Aid and Health and Safety Certificates, along with Internet Safety and Safeguarding.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Skills to Group Ltd
Olivia 01752 332442
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 09 Oct 2017