Golders Hill Park Apprentice Gardener City Of London
To carry out grounds maintenance tasks within Golders Hill Park in accordance with good horticultural practice for the enjoyment, recreation and safety of visitors.
Closing date: 21 Sep 2017
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
02 Oct 2017
11 Jul 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Main Duties & Responsibilities
- Garden Maintenance
- To undertake general grass cutting, hedge cutting, irrigation, edge- strimming, pruning, annual seasonal bedding, weeding and clearance/maintenance of drains/gulleys /ponds, under supervision.
- To undertake basic repair, maintenance and installation of fences/barriers/gates/bollards and the repair, maintenance & installation of seats, signs, paths and bins, under supervision.
- Use basic hand/power tools and grounds maintenance equipment under supervision.
- To pick up litter and dispose of it safely through the use of a Litter Pick and emptying bins including bag removal and bag replacement. Sweeping the footpaths so as to keep the Park in a clean and tidy condition at all times.
- To learn and assist the Gardeners and Team Leaders with hard and soft landscaping projects including the preparation of ground, paving, simple construction, planting including trees/shrubs and other general landscaping operations.
2. Communication and Responsibilities
- To attend staff meetings and learn about the site specific project meetings as appropriate.
- To work as part of a team with the aim of ensuring productive working relationships within the team and with other employees, Team Leaders and external agencies.
- To attend Capel Manor College one day per week as part of the City of London Apprenticeship Programme and complete course work and examinations in a timely fashion and to the best of your ability.
3. Customer Care
- To provide a highly visible presence to engender a sense of well-being for customers and members of the public.
- To assist in promoting Golders Hill Park and the wider Heath to local schools, colleges and other User Groups.
4 Health & Safety and Other Matters
- To ensure that you observe departmental safety procedures and use safe working practices specifically with regard to PPE, and adherence to COSHH and Risk Assessments, reporting accidents and near misses to your Supervisor.
- Actively seek to implement the City of London’s Occupational Health and Safety Policy in relation to the duties of the post, and at all times give due regard to the health and safety of both themselves and others when carrying out their duties.
- Actively seek to implement the City of London’s Equal Opportunity Policy and the objective to promote equality of opportunity in relation to the duties of the post.
- To undertake any other duties that may reasonably be requested appropriate to the grade
Requirements and prospects
Some experience of working in a parks or landscape environment
Some experience of active volunteer work either with a charity or organisations that promote interest in horticulture/wildlife/conservation
Demonstrable ability to establish and sustain good working relationships within a team environment or the ability and initiative to work alone, to be motivated, honest and reliable
Ability to develop new skills in horticulture and a willingness to learn about plants
Experience in dealing with members of the public in either a voluntary, public service or retail sector
- Educational certificates to demonstrate a good standard of English literacy and numeracy
- Effective oral and written communication skills necessary to meet the duties of the post
About the employer
Additional location information
Horticulture Level 2 full apprenticeship Framework (or Standard when available)
COMMON COUNCIL OF THE CITY OF LONDON
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by City of London
CATHERINE HUGHES 02073323209 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 21 Sep 2017