Professional Chef Apprentice Wales High School
Want to be part of a story? Wales High School are looking for someone passionate about cooking to become a Chef and be a part of their expanding team. Working with experienced staff, you can start your story here!
Closing date: 24 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 35.00
Possible start date
25 Sep 2017
07 Jul 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Is cooking your passion? Do you want to join a Catering Department that can catapult you to success?
If the answer is yes, you have found that career opportunity you have been searching for!
Wales High School is looking for passionate candidates to join their team!
In this rewarding position, we are looking for exceptional candidates, who will thrive in this fast paced industry. Each day will be different working with a diverse range of ingredients and methods while learning from highly skilled chefs. This is a great way to begin a career and climb the professional ladder.
This apprenticeship will give you all you need to secure your future within this unique and exciting environment!
In return for your hard work, commitment and skill development, you will receive around £120.00 per week as well as an industry recognised qualification that will make sure you are indispensable in the industry.
- Under the direct guidance of the Catering Manager, you will undertake basic cooking and food preparation tasks using knife skills, correct terminology and a variety of cooking methods.
- You will also follow recipes, weighing and measuring food accurately and understand the major techniques and principles in cooking, baking and other elements of food preparation.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Preparation and cooking of food in accordance with approved menus, including vegetables, sweets and snacks, as directed by senior colleagues.
- Portioning and serving a midday meal to pupils and staff.
- Assisting the Cook in Charge with checking and recording all food and equipment temperature.
- Assisting the Cook in Charge with the receipt of goods delivered to the kitchen and the keeping of appropriate records.
- Cleaning food storage, production and service areas, all equipment and utensils in accordance with food hygiene standards.
- Setting up and clearing the dining area including movement and lifting of furniture.
- Operation of cash/cashless tills as and when required.
- To be familiar with and comply with all relevant regulations such as those relating to Health and Safety, Management of Risk, Operational, Personnel, Data Protection and Financial and policies and procedures. Adopting safe working practices in accordance with the Authority’s Safety Policy.
- Excellent Career progression
- Working with a friendly organisation
- Options to secure a long standing position
- Industry qualifications and experience
- Supported qualifications after Apprenticeship completed.
Requirements and prospects
- Good practical skills and an interest in cooking
- Eager to learn
- Attention to detail
- Willingness to work hard and complete tasks assigned
- Asking questions if unsure about tasks assigned
- Good timekeeping
- Flexible approach to a changing environment
- Good at multi-tasking
- Good practical skills
- High levels of personal hygiene
- A good understanding of hygiene procedures.
- Ability to organise, plan and prioritise on own initiative, including when under pressure and meeting deadlines
- Good communication skills
- Ability to work flexibly and enthusiastically within a team or on own initiative
- Driven attitude and wanting to push yourself
- Commitment to achieving the qualification
- Ability to take instruction when needed
Minimum requirement of 4 GCSE’s Grade A*- E including maths and English (or equivalent)
Things to consider
About the employer
Wales High School
- Certificate in Professional Cookery
- Diploma in Professional Cookery
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills
- Functional Skill in English
- Functional Skill in Maths.
Catering and Professional Chefs
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Rotherham College of Arts & Technology
Danielle Walker 01709 513147 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 24 Sep 2017