Painting and Decorating Apprentice Ref: 2769N SCOTT ANSON PAINTERS & DECORATORS LIMITED
Working as part of a small team and with a dedicated mentor, the apprentice will prepare background surfaces for painting and decorating (including filling and rubbing down), apply paint by brush and roller, and hang wall coverings whilst adhereing to Health and Safety procedures at al times.
Closing date: 23 Oct 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
30 Oct 2017
09 Jun 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Working as part of a small team and with a dedicated mentor, the apprentice will prepare background surfaces for painting and decorating (including filling and rubbing down), apply paint by brush and roller, and hang wall coverings. They must adhere to health & safety procedures at all times.
You will work alongside qualified Painters and Decorators and learn all aspects of the trade. You must be enthusiastic and have ambition to become a fully qualified Painter and Decorator. You must also have a good head for heights. As an apprentice, you will often be supporting more experienced colleagues and be expected to learn from them to develop your knowledge.
An ability to work at height is a must, and you would also need to be able to focus on doing certain tasks for long periods of time. Due to the focus being on preparing surfaces prior to applying paint systems.
A normal day would include:
- Assisting other members of the team
- Preparing a range of surfaces old and new. Removing old paint or paper by sanding or scraping. Preparing surfaces by fixing woodwork, filling or sealing holes, cracks and joins and washing them down to remove dust and grease
- Applying water based and oil paints. Brushing or rolling paints, stains, varnishes and other finishes
- Keeping the working area clean and tidy, washing equipment and clean work areas
- Learning all aspects of the painting and decorating trade
- Erecting ladders and place dustsheets to protect areas from dripping paint
Requirements and prospects
- Candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable and willing to learn.
- They must be punctual and physically fit, with a strong work ethic
- They must be a good time keeper and a good team player
- A keen attention to detail is essential
- Work is physically demanding and will involve early starts and some late finishing
- Physically fit
- Excelllent work ethic
- Good personal hygiene
- Willing to work and learn
- You will need GCSEs/GCSE equivalents in English and Maths, with grades C/4 and above being preferred, however this may not be essential for the right candidate.
Things to consider
About the employer
SCOTT ANSON PAINTERS & DECORATORS LIMITED
Life Long Learning and Skills work to match employers to training providers and help recruit suitable candidates. The Training Provider will be confirmed with you at a later stage however you should bear in mind that you may need to attend day release courses with your Training Provider and may need to travel for this. Apprenticeship Qualifications may include an NVQ, Personal Learning and Thinking Skills, Employee Rights Workbook and Functional Skills.
SHEFFIELD CITY COUNCIL
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Lifelong Learning and Skills Service
David Archer 01142 735960 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 23 Oct 2017