A bright and talented individual is required to join our Infection Genomics Team. You will gain practical experience in a working laboratory whilst developing many necessary and practical laboratory skills and develop a sound understanding of host-pathogen interactions whilst supporting scientists with their investigations.
Laboratory Technician Advanced Apprentice
Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute
Closing date: 02 Jul 2017
Monday to Thursday, 9.00am - 5.00pm. Friday 9.00am - 4.30pm.
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
04 Sep 2017
26 May 2017
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
During the apprenticeship, you will be able to develop the many necessary and practical laboratory skills and develop a sound understanding of host-pathogen interactions whilst supporting scientists with their investigations. You will also learn a range of skills such as the routine culture of cells and pathogens, infection assays and microscopy.
The job will involve but is not limited to the following:
- Training in basic laboratory and advanced technical skills.
- Management of laboratory consumables and equipment.
- Accurate recording of experimental methods and results.
- Laboratory health and safety legislation.
- Rotation through a variety of laboratory environments.
If you successfully complete your apprenticeship a job offer may be made.
Requirements and prospects
- Good communication skills.
- Logical approach to problem solving.
- Good interpersonal skills.
- Able to carry out duties as instructed.
- Good time management.
- A genuine interest in Science.
- A good attention to detail.
- A commitment to their training and study (and to be prepared to put time aside for their own development).
- A team player.
- Desire to learn.
- Ability to follow direction.
- Good numeracy.
- An ability to keep precise records of daily activity and results.
- It is essential that you have or expect to achieve GCSE's, or equivalent, graded C/5 or above (including Science, Maths and English).
- A Level in Science or equivalent would be desirable.
The candidate could potentially progress to a full-time position within either the team or the organisation but would also be able to apply for entrance into further level 4 courses or higher educational institutes.
Things to consider
You may need to do some out of hours work but this would be kept to a minimum. The campus offers excellent facilities including a state of the art data centre, gym, two cafes, a nursery, dining facilities, a cycle to work scheme, car sharing and free campus buses from various locations around Cambridge. Other employee benefits include: - 25 days annual leave. - Defined Contribution Pension Scheme. - Life Assurance. - Group Income Protection. - Healthcare. - EyeCare Plan. - Denplan. - Childcare vouchers. - Carers' Grant.
About the employer
The Sanger Institute is at the forefront of genetics and genomics, an exciting and fast moving area of biomedical research that has a significant impact on human health and holds one of the UK's largest data centres. The Institute is located near Cambridge, UK on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. This growing and dynamic site is the British hub of genomic science. The campus also hosts the European Bioinformatics Institute (EBI), The Wellcome Genome Campus Conference Centre, Connecting Science and a Biodata Innovation Centre. Together we enable everyone to explore genomic science and its impact on research, health and society. Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute welcomes applications from all candidates irrespective of age, disability, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, religion or belief, or marital or civil partnership status.
You will achieve an Advanced Apprenticeship in Laboratory Technician.
This will include:
- Level 3 NVQ Diploma in Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities.
- Year 1 Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma in Applied Science with the option to complete the Diploma with more specialist units in Year 2.
- Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths and English (if required).
You will be required to attend Cambridge Regional College one day per week. The remaining 4 days will be at the Wellcome Trust laboratories in Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SA.
We provide a wide choice of training opportunities on site for all employees ranging from Excel workshops to Strategic Thinking, with training focusing on developing IT, Personal Effectiveness and Management skills. We also provide Health and Safety training to adhere to compliance.
Life and Industrial Sciences > Laboratory Technician
CAMBRIDGE REGIONAL COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Cambridge Regional College
Jo Hinson firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 02 Jul 2017