The posts are offered with a Laboratory and Associated Technical Activities Apprenticeship Level 3. The learning provider is York College and this training will be carried out as day release.
Apprentice Laboratory Assistants
FERA SCIENCE LIMITED
Closing date: 15 Jul 2017
£151.88 - £264.38
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship(usually one day per week).
37.5 hours per week, Mon - Fri
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
01 Aug 2017
03 May 2017
Advanced Level Apprenticeship
The post holders will have a significant and valuable opportunity to build a portfolio of laboratory skills through on the job training while gaining a recognised qualification. These exciting opportunities will ideally be suited to individuals with a scientific and practical mindset who will thrive in an active applied science environment, and would be prepared to train to achieve L3 apprenticeship in laboratory and associated technical activities. As part of on the job training, apprentices will learn to carry out the basic Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) that underpin the delivery of contracted work within the broad disciplines of Fera’s agricultural and environmental science. They will contribute towards multidisciplinary research, diagnosis and support of plant protection within the UK and overseas for both commercial and government customers. The Detection and Surveillance team where these posts are mainly based provide a pest and disease identification service for the government’s Plant Health and Seeds Inspectors. Post holders will become competent to carry out support work in the core Fera laboratories, and able to respond to emergency delivery needs as they arise.
Apprentices will work to a dedicated team leader who will plan their time allocations to laboratories and ensure training is carried out to appropriate quality standards.
- Follow strict laboratory safety procedures, including the use of personal protective equipment
- Train to carry out routine laboratory tasks according to Standard Operating Procedures. (These activities could include, cleaning and tidying the laboratory, monitoring equipment for ISO 9001, 17025 and GLP, ordering supplies, preparing reagents, sample storage, sample preparation and extraction for analysis)
- Work in Plant Health Quarantine Licenced Facilities
- Build up a portfolio of competence with time
- Respond to contingency work as directed by the team leader
- Complete the study requirement for LATA NVQ level 3
- Complete the study requirement for BTEC level 3
Requirements and prospects
- Have a positive, confident approach to everything they do.
- Are self-motivated and want to succeed.
- Show respect for their colleagues and clients.
- Deliver what they promise.
- Understand the importance of working in teams.
- Experience of organising and completing work to a high standard and tight deadlines.
- A meticulous and careful worker able to follow written and verbal instruction
- Flexible approach to working in a busy and often varied work environment
- Take responsibility
- Calm and consistent
- Strong work ethic
At least 5 GCSEs at grade C or above (or equivalent) including Maths (grade 4 or above)English (grade 4 or above) and Science or a First Diploma (BTEC) in Applied Science alongside GCSEs (or equivalent) in Mathematics and English (grade C or above).
At the end of the apprenticeship, there may be the possibility of applying for a role within the organisation, depending on the availability of work.
Things to consider
Fera Science Ltd is situated on a purpose-built site close to the city of York, where our staff enjoy state of the art facilities including an onsite gym, staff restaurant, nursery (Outstanding Ofsted Rating) and free parking. Fera Science Ltd is based at Sand Hutton, just outside the thriving historical city of York, which has excellent shopping, restaurants, music, theatres and arts venues. • 23 days annual leave (increasing after two years’ service). A further 8 days public holiday • Salary sacrifice: childcare vouchers • On-site nursery • Staff restaurant serving high quality breakfast, snacks and lunches. • On site gym Initially you will be contacted by York College to confirm your commitment and suitability for the role. If we are unable to contact you, you will not be considered for the position. Please note that from 1st April 2017 the National Minimum wage is £3.50per hour for an apprentice. This applies to 16-18 year old apprentices and those aged over 19 in the first year of their apprenticeship. For all other apprentices the National minimum wage appropriate for their age applies. The minimum wage for Apprentices applies to time spent on the job and time spent training.
About the employer
The overarching purpose of Fera Science Ltd is to support and develop a sustainable food chain, a healthy natural environment, and to protect the global community from biological and chemical risks.
- BTEC 120 credit Level 3 Diploma in Applied Science (QCF)
- NVQ Level 3 LATA (with vocational competence evaluation log and behaviours evaluation log completed alongside)
- Apprentices without a level 2 English and mathematics will need to achieve this level prior to completion of their apprenticeship
- End assessment
On completion of Gateway 1 and 2 the employer will sign off the apprentice as ready for the formal
end assessment, which must be conducted in the workplace. Formal end assessment, which will
take place during the last 3 months of the apprenticeship will comprise:
- Review of behaviours evaluation log
- Synoptic assessment test (SAT)
- Vocational competence discussion
- Scenario case study
Life and Industrial Sciences > Laboratory Technician
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by York College
Leanne Jenkins 01904 770368 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 15 Jul 2017