Apprentice Cook Cambridge Nursing Home
Your role as a member of the Ancillary Staff team, we consider you as part of the care team even though you may not be directly providing care to Service Users.
Closing date: 31 Aug 2017
Total hours per week: 35.00
Possible start date
14 Sep 2017
03 May 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
General job summary:
- To undertake induction programme as provided and all mandatory training as required.
- To ensure that the physical, psychological, emotional and spiritual well-being of all Service Users is maintained at the highest possible level in the pleasant, safe and harmonious environment of the Home.
- To maintain Confidentiality at ALL times.
- To be aware of their responsibilities in maintaining the Health & Safety of all and staff.
- When necessary to help with the feeding needs of SUs who are incapable of feeding themselves, serving meals in a presentable manner.
- To participate in activities for the general leisure and social care of the SUs when necessary.
- To remove and dispose of clinical and other domestic wastes and place in the appropriate containers for disposal.
- To participate in the assessment and reviews of to assess the needs of each SU when requested.
- To assist in various leisure activities outings where necessary.
- To help residents when necessary in casual shopping (but never proprietary drugs -see drugs policy) to assist residents in selection of clothing.
- To prepare, cook and serve food and beverages (including snacks).
- To accept any shortfall in the service and suggestions as to how to overcome them.
- To control all cooking duties.
- To coordinate the transporting and serving of meals.
- To undertake general kitchen and dining room duties (eg. washing up, setting up and clearing away equipment and tables).
- To work with the other Ancillary Staff as part of a team to meet quality assurance standards.
- The reporting of any defects with the equipment to the Quality Control Manager.
- To wear appropriate protective clothing and aprons as instructed.
- Be familiar with and put into practice the cleaning policies and procedures.
- Put rubbish outside in the paladins. Suitable gloves must be worn to handle this.
- Carry out any other duties as instructed by the Registered Nurse in charge and the management team.
- To be fully aware of emergency fire exits and equipment.
- To be able to use emergency equipment if necessary and be able to practice.
- To know of and put into practice when required the drill for emergency evacuation in case of fire.
- To report all accidents and incidents, however minor to the Nurse in charge.
- To report defects in equipment to the management and comply at all times to the policies of the Home in relation to Health & Safety policy at work.
Responsibility and accountability:
- Whilst on duty, you are accountable to the Registered Nurse in charge and to the Quality Control Manager.
- All staff are responsible for his/her own actions or inactions.
- All staff must be in good health and must report to the Management of any sickness, infections, diseases and other condition which may affect their work.
Personal and professional development:
- To maintain knowledge of current trends in the profession.
- To attend courses for your own professional development in your time and the time organised by the employer.
- To comply with the statutory requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act in attending fire and safety instruction.
Requirements and prospects
- Good communication skills
- Basic cooking skills
- You must have a genuine interest in caring for the elderly. Being practical, flexible, and hardworking is always an advantage.
- All staff must be trustworthy, reliable and of good character.
- He/she should have the following characteristics:
- To show respect for the Individual SU at ALL times
- To maintain dignity, privacy and confidentiality
GCSE Maths and English A-C/or equivalent is desirable
Things to consider
About the employer
Cambridge Nursing Home
- L2 Professional Cookery
- L1 Functional Skills – English and Maths
Catering and Professional Chefs
NEWHAM COLLEGE OF FURTHER EDUCATION
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Newham College of Further Education
Lynn Parsonage 020 8257 4586 Lynn.Parsonage@newham.ac.uk
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 31 Aug 2017