Apprentice Gardener South Hams District Council
This post is being created to work as a key member of an operational team. Delivering grounds maintenance across a variety of sites throughout the District and effectively contributes towards the organisations financial targets, service and corporate plan.
Closing date: 27 Aug 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
11 Sep 2017
25 Apr 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
1: A passion for the outdoors is essential
2: To work as part of the Green Space Team developing horticultural, sport turf, conservation knowledge and skills through training, experience and mentoring. The successful candidates will attend South Devon College and study for a NVQ Level 2 in Horticulture. Apprentices will be expected to undertake a number of short courses both in-house and external.
3. To maintain accurate and legible records including timesheets, tick sheets, vehicle and machinery defect reporting forms, pesticide application forms, incident forms, etc.
4. To work for short periods with office based staff and volunteer groups to gain a wider understanding of Horticulture, Conservation and other land management issues
5. Whilst appreciating that an apprentice may not have a driving licence we would expect the successful candidates to apply for a provisional licence which enable them to use machinery on site.
6 To undertake any other such duties as may be required by the Greens Spaces Manager.
NB: The list of duties is not to be regarded as exclusive or exhaustive; there will be other duties and requirements associated with the post and you may be required to undertake such other duties as may reasonably be required of you.
Requirements and prospects
Common sense, a willingness to learn, an enjoyment of gardening and working outside.
- Physically able to cope with the demands of the job.
- Common sense.
- Enthusiastic and motivated.
- GCSE Maths.
- IT and English grade C would be desirable but are not essential as these can be achieved in college.
Things to consider
About the employer
Whilst on the apprenticeship programme you will be required to attend the college in Paignton one day per week, in order to complete the Diploma side of the apprenticeship. With the help of a college assessor you will need to compile a portfolio of work-based evidence for the Level 2 Diploma. Functional Skills in Maths and English may be required depending on previous GCSE qualifications.
SOUTH DEVON COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by South Devon College
Chris Ashfield 01803 540309 firstname.lastname@example.org
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 27 Aug 2017