Horse Care Apprentice Boskell Riding Centre
An exciting Equine Apprenticeship opportunity has arisen within Boskell Riding Centre for an individual who is wishing to build upon and develop their existing passion and skills.
Closing date: 10 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
17 Sep 2017
25 Apr 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
Boskell Riding Centre in St. Austell is wishing to appoint a motivated horse care apprentice who is looking to build their knowledge, understanding and practical expertise. A calm approach should be taken to meet the daily needs of the horses/clients and their training programmes, with specialist support offered from their small and friendly team. Typical daily tasks will include:
- Preparing horses for use.
- Feeding and welfare.
- Cleaning of stables.
- Riding and exercising.
- Maintaining the health and well-being of horses.
- Holding effective working relationships.
- Loading and unloading horses under supervision.
- Supporting the safety and overall enjoyment of clients who visit the yard.
The successful apprentice should be able to engage with those of all ages and abilities and hold ambitions to carry out additional instructor training programmes.
Requirements and prospects
Experience of riding and supporting the daily needs of horses is considered to be essential. This may be demonstrated by tending to your own horse, volunteering work carried out in a yard or through previous employment positions.
Applicants applying for this position are expected to be:
- Keen and willing to learn
- Competent with horses
- Practical and positive in attitude
- Able to listen and work to given instructions
- Happy and able to work outdoors in all weathers
- Willing to be part of a team
- Well-mannered and presentable for the role
- Reliable and dependable
- Seeking to uphold standards
- Wanting to build a career in the horse care industry
A proactive approach is needed, having confidence to work alongside others and being able to work on your own initiative.
2 GCSEs in English and Mathematics at grade D or above (or equivalent) are essential – however, applicants with relevant prior experience but without the stated qualifications may be considered, though must be prepared to work towards their level 1 Functional Skills qualifications.
A driving license is helpful but is not essential, as long as you are able to get to and from the employer reliably and access Duchy College for your training.
Things to consider
About the employer
Boskell Riding Centre
The Work Based Diploma in Horse Care (Equine), Intermediate level, including:
• One day emergency first aid course
• Personal learning and thinking skills
• Building a portfolio of evidence
• Functional skills in English and Mathematics at Level 1
• Employee rights and responsibilities
• On and off the job training
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Duchy College
Recruitment Team 0845 609 95 99
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 10 Sep 2017