Bricklaying Apprenticeship Ben James Lewis
Ben Lewis is looking to take on a bricklaying apprentice to join his busy team.
Closing date: 18 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
25 Sep 2017
12 Apr 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- The apprentice will be working closely with Ben to gain practical experience in the construction trade.
- The apprentice will learn valuable skills such as how to mix and sort materials needed and how to trowel professional and safely.
- At first you will shadow the employer, to pick up all the skills and knowledge you need to start your career in bricklaying.
- The successful apprentice will learn how to use all the specialist hand tools, machinery and power tools associated with this role.
- The employer is currently working in Newton Abbot and will be leaving Plymouth at 7am, travel time is not paid but the employer is happy the successful apprentice up.
Requirements and prospects
- You will need to be punctual and have good time management skills
- Be able to listen and follow instructions
- Keen and ready to learn
- Driven to start a career in bricklaying
- Good social skills as you will be dealing with the public and other construction workers on a daily basis
- Reliable, flexible and enthusiastic
No qualifications are required, however GCSE or equivalent grades A-C in Maths and English is preferred.
About the employer
Ben James Lewis
The Apprenticeship in Trowel Occupations consists of:
- Level 2 NVQ Diploma in Trowel Occupations
- Level 2 Diploma in Bricklaying
- Functional Skills in Maths and English (Level 1)
- Construction Skills Health, Safety and Environment test – CSCS Test
- Emergency First Aid
- Certified Health and Safety Course
- Internet Safety / Safeguarding
As part of the apprenticeship programme, attendance is required at our Skills Group training centre for one day per week. All other aspects of the qualification will be delivered on-site by the employer. You will have regular visits every six to eight weeks from your designated Skills Group assessor, who will monitor your progress during your apprenticeship training.
Whilst at the Skills Group training centre, you will learn the necessary skills and gain experience to help you throughout your role. Part of your training will be knowledge and theory based, whilst the rest will be practical. You will develop your hand skills, carry out brick and block work, learn the correct use of specific tools, carry out pointing and learn mortar ratio mixes under the guidance of your assessor. Learning all these additional skills will benefit you on returning to the employer.
As an additional qualification you will also achieve your Emergency First Aid and certified Health and Safety Certificates, along with Internet Safety and Safeguarding.
As part of your apprenticeship Skills Group will also support you to complete your online CSCS test, which will enable you to apply for your CSCS Card. This shows that you are at the required competent level to carry out site work with the employer.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Skills to Group Ltd
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 18 Sep 2017