You will combine academic learning with practical training from day one; you will study towards a HNC/D in controls engineering during the first 3 years of your apprenticeship and a BEng Degree in year 4.
Apprentice Controls System Specialist Engineer
Closing date: 01 Jun 2017
40 hours per week – first year days Mon – Fri, years 2 onwards potentially shift work
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Sep 2017
07 Apr 2017
Degree Level Apprenticeship
Amazon is the perfect place to start your career in controls engineering. As one of the world’s largest retail companies, we have an unrivalled range of equipment and facilities, so there are a huge variety of challenges you can work on during this four-year engineering apprenticeship scheme. You will graduate into a Controls Systems Specialist Engineer position on successful completion of the program where we will continue your development, allowing you to grow with the business.
The scheme combines; a residential element that will give you a thorough and detailed insight into what we do in fulfilment centre engineering and also gives you the basic skills necessary before working on our equipment. You will combine academic learning with practical training from day one; you will study towards a HNC/D in controls engineering during the first 3 years of your apprenticeship and a BEng Degree in year 4.
As a controls engineering apprentice, you’ll play a key part in our electrical controls engineering team, carrying out supervised fault finding and projects in our existing and new build facilities. You’ll be adding value to the wider business and positively impacting our customers’ experience from very early-on in your Amazon career.
Requirements and prospects
- Desire to learn all aspects of controls engineering
- Willingness to spend time training and working away from home
- Previous qualifications in engineering - preferably with a PLC, electronics or electrical bias
- Good communications skills at all levels. Excellent English communication skills (written & verbal).
- Experience of working to appropriate health & safety standards and regulations or willingness to learn and practice these
- Keep others informed of information that contributes to the performance of the team, department or company (Team player).
- Excellent customer facing skills / customer focus.
- Able to prioritize in a complex, fast-paced environment.
- · Willingness to train and learn new skills.
- To have flexibility in working hours and shift patterns to provide cover for operational requirements
- You will need to demonstrate ambition through work or educational experience and be able to give examples of how you have managed your own learning.
- You will need to be ambitious, relish a challenge and be prepared to seize the opportunities given to you. Hard work is essential, as is a determination to succeed and make the most of the hands on experience & qualifications on offer to you.
- You will show self-motivation by providing evidence of your own achievements and the achievements of teams you have either led or been part of. You will show good aptitude for problem solving and have a high attention for detail. You will have excellent communication skills both verbally and in writing.
- You will be able to provide references which will show excellent punctuality and attendance records.
You’ll need 2 A levels (or equivalent) at C or above in either Mathematics, IT, Physics, an Engineering related subject, or have completed a BTEC level 3 engineering qualification of 180 credits which must include further mathematics, or have an Engineering HNC/D qualification.
This apprenticeship should lead to a Controls System Specialist role with the UK Engineering and Facilities team, there will be the opportunity to work at other Amazon sites within the UK and the EU undertaking projects and assisting with new building launches. There is a huge scope for further advancement post apprenticeship both within EU Facilities and Engineering and more broadly across other departments within Amazon globally.
Things to consider
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year. Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year. The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over. Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
About the employer
When Amazon.com launched in 1995, it was with the mission “to be Earth’s most customer-centric company, where customers can find and discover anything they might want to buy online, …[at] the lowest possible prices.” This goal continues today, but Amazon’s customers are worldwide now and have grown to include millions of Consumers, Sellers, Content Creators, Developers, and Enterprises. Each of these groups has different needs, and we always work to meet those needs, by innovating new solutions to make things easier, faster, better, and more cost-effective. Our engineering teams are crucial in ensuring that our facilities continue to deliver our customers’ needs and we can only continue to do this if we attract, develop and retain the best talent to deliver our ambitious plans.
6 Sunbank Lane
40 weeks ‘off the job’ foundation training at a partner training organisation to achieve a diploma in Advanced Manufacturing Engineering
HND in Engineering
‘On the job’ training working with skilled controls engineers at one of our Fulfilment Centres leading to completion of an EAL Level 4 Diploma in Engineering.
Siemens Programming Course Levels 1, 2 and 3
BEng Degree in Control and Automation
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Getmyfirstjob Ltd
Hollie Fountain 02393 876404 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 01 Jun 2017