This is a fantastic opportunity for a creative, fresh food enthusiast to gain invaluable training & experience alongside a Nationally recognised qualification in Professional Cookery. Apply today to join our great team at the Crown & Horn's in East Ilsley.
Commis Chef Apprentice
The Crown & Horns
Closing date: 08 May 2017
30 hours per week, Flexible shift rota
Possible start date
14 May 2017
30 Oct 2015
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
We are looking for an Apprentice Commis Chef (Line Chef) to join our great team at our lovely pub and hotel.
This role comes with the real potential to progress your career within a catering and hospitality environment, with great training available from a young and growing Pub Company.
A background in fresh food would be an advantage but is not essential – just a general passion about good food.
We’re ideally looking for someone that can bring creative ideas to the team and will enjoy working on their own menus.
If you’re willing to learn and can demonstrate a positive attitude, then this could be the place for you!
Main duties will include;
- Set up stations and collect all necessary supplies to prepare menu for service
- Prepare a variety of foods; meat, seafood, poultry, vegetable, and cold food items
- Arrange sauces and supplementary garnishes for allocated station
- Cover, date and correctly store all bits and pieces and food prep items
- Notify Chef in advance of likely shortages
- Serve menu items compliant with established standards
- Use food preparation tools in accordance with manufactures instructions
- Close the kitchen correctly and follow the closing checklist for kitchen stations
- Maintain a prepared and sanitary work area at all times
- Keep the work area fresh all through the shift
- Make sure all storage areas are tidy and all products are stored appropriately
- Constantly use safe and hygienic food handling practices
- Returns dirty food preparation utensils to the appropriate areas
- Assist with all duties as assigned by Kitchen Manager
Requirements and prospects
- Ideally you will already have some craft skills, including preparing pastry, meat and fish
- Good communication skills
- Attention to detail
5 GCSEs at Grade D or higher including Maths and English (or equivalent)
This role offers you the opportunity to gain invaluable experience, training and a Nationally recognised qualification in Hospitality and Catering, allowing you to lay the foundations for a fantastic career.
We firmly believe in promoting talent from within. Our senior chefs want enthusiastic candidates to train up through the ranks.
Things to consider
Please consider how you will get to and from work?
Do you think you can cope with the challenges of working within a very hot and busy kitchen?
Being a Professional Chef can mean you work long hours in a pressurised environment. It can be very hard and physical at times with demanding schedules.
Flexibility in your hours of work will be required to cover various shifts, including some breakfast shifts and some split shifts.
Pay rates are dependent on your experience.
About the employer
Independent Pub Company
The Crown & Horns is a beautifully renovated and refurbished country inn nestled in the heart of West Berkshire’s racing countryside. With 11 individually designed en-suite rooms clustered around our kitchen courtyard, roaring log fires, oak beams, lots of real ales and simple, fresh locally sourced food, The Crown & Horns is the perfect stop over for business and leisure travellers.
On-the-job training will be provided to achieve all aspects of the role requirements. On-going support will be offered by your Line Manager and your Newbury College Assessor to achieve the Apprenticeship.
The Apprenticeship will include;
- Competency Based Element: NVQ Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery
- Knowledge Based Element: Level 2 Certificate in Hospitality and Catering Principles (Professional Cookery)
- Functional Skills in Maths & English (Both Level 1)
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
* Attendance is required at Newbury College for the taught element of the programme (Typically 1 day a week)
* Assessment of competency is carried out in the workplace by a Newbury College Assessor
* Functional Skills tuition is delivered at Newbury College (if required)
Catering and Professional Chefs
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Newbury College
Stefanie Josey / T: 01635 845229 / email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 08 May 2017