Apprentice Chef/Kitchen Assistant Blacksmiths Arms Westow
An exciting opportunity has arisen to join our kitchen team in our fast-paced pub/restaurant. Your work will involve preparing and cooking good quality, fresh food in a busy environment.
Closing date: 03 Dec 2023
Pay will increase with experience and capability as the apprenticeship progresses.
Total hours per week: 40
Possible start date
11 Dec 2023
08 Nov 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What you will do in your working day
You should be capable of taking direction well and multi-tasking effectively. You will gain experience in the hospitality industry and develop strong customer service skills.
Responsibilities and daily tasks:
· Food preparation and a variety of cooking techniques.
· Prepare meals and side dishes according to customers' dietary needs and preferences.
· Prepare food in a timely manner.
· Cleaning down work areas and entire kitchen.
· Help with stock take and ordering.
· Designated fridges for stock rotation and replenishing prepped food.
· Be able to explain dishes to waiting staff and customers.
The training you will be getting
This apprenticeship will give you the knowledge, skills and behaviours required to work as a production Chef and will include the following:
- Check, prepare, assemble, cook, regenerate, hold and present food meeting the needs of the customers and maintaining organisational standards and procedures.
- Use kitchen tools and equipment safely and correctly to produce consistently high-quality dishes according to specifications.
Understand how to produce dishes to suit individuals’ specific dietary, religious and allergenic needs as required.
- Understand how to operate within all regulations, legislation and procedural requirements and complete and maintain all documentation in relation to this.
- Understand how to maintain quality and consistency in food production by using resources in line with organisations’ financial constraints, style, specifications and ethos.
You will also produce a portfolio of evidence demonstrating examples of your work throughout the apprenticeship. You will attend York College on a day release basis and the qualification achieved upon completion of the End Point Assessment is Production Chef level 2 Apprenticeship.
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
- Upon completion of the apprenticeship, we will discuss the opportunity to work for The Blacksmiths Arms on a long-term basis
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 3/D) Essential
GCSE or equivalent maths (Grade 3/D) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
Adjustments for experience
You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:
- qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
- industry or sector experience
York College Apprenticeships
Level 2 (GCSE)
If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.
You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.