This is an exciting opportunity to join UCL's Estate Operations Department as their apprentice Help Desk Operative. You'll work within a small team which is responsible for providing first class customer service to the range of support services at the University including the Maintenance teams, Contractors, Security, Porters and Soft Services.
Closing date: 10 Dec 2023
Salary is inclusive of London Allowance and will increase to £25,880 in December 2023. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/work-at-ucl/rewards-and-benefits
Total hours per week: 36.5
Possible start date
02 Dec 2024
01 Nov 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What you will do in your working day
This position is a unique opportunity for an enthusiastic and ambitious Level 3 Customer Service apprentice to gain a wide range of skills and experiences which will equip them to further develop a successful future career in Customer Service and/ or Higher Education Administration or Management.
The Help Desk Operative is to respond to a high volume of customer enquiries and service requests and to ensure those requests are accurately and correctly accommodated. The role is strongly ‘customer facing’ and the establishment of effective customer relationships is critical to provide an effective service with high customer service values. The postholder will be supported to plan, organize and prioritise their work and to use initiative, creativity and sound judgment to resolve regular problems and issues.
- Logging maintenance and facilities service requests using the estates computer software (IWMS). Requests can be received in person, by telephone, electronic mail or via the online service request forms
- Assist in the planning and allocation of routine building maintenance and facilities services tasks to in-house staff (through trade supervisors) and to contractors according to laid-down priorities, standing arrangements and service levels
- Manage effective and collaborative working relationships and liaise with a range of UCL support services including Maintenance teams, Contractors, Security, Porters and Soft Services to ensure an effective service is provided to all customers
- Communicate effectively with client departments/stakeholders; monitor work order requests to ensure that they meet customer expectations and are delivered to specification and on time and provide relevant feedback
- Support the work across UCL Estates to develop and maintain a high level of awareness of the UCL Estates portfolio of buildings and work, including current and future projects and maintenance works, to provide customers with critical information in a timely fashion
- Co-ordinate effective communication with all Landlords and their FM providers regarding maintenance issues in their buildings on behalf of UCL staff occupying those buildings. Provide feedback to UCL staff regarding outstanding issues with an estimated time-line for the completion of the jobs
- Monitor all alarms received via the Building Management System and ensure critical alarms are passed to the relevant crew member/ contractor and are attended within the Service Level Agreement
- Work flexibly as required to ensure that the overall team responds to, and pre-empts, changing demands and priorities, providing assistance, support, advice and cover when necessary. This role will be based on campus. The role will be to cover the hours 08.00 to 16.00, Monday to Friday
The training you will be getting
The successful candidate will be undertaking the Level 3 Customer Service Specialist apprenticeship standard, fully supported by UCL and leading training provider, HTP Apprenticeship College.
The apprentice will complete a minimum of 6 hours per week average of off the job training within working hours.
What to expect at the end of your apprenticeship
Upon successful completion of the apprenticeship, the post holder will be in a strong position to apply for positions of full employment at UCL. You will also be eligible to join the Institute of Customer Service as an individual member at a professional level.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4-9 or A*-C) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
HTP APPRENTICESHIP COLLEGE LTD
Adjustments for experience
You could reduce your training time, or finish your apprenticeship faster, if you have relevant prior learning or experience. This could be relevant:
- qualifications, like an NVQ in a relevant field
- industry or sector experience
Customer service specialist
Level 3 (A level)
If your application is successful, you will have a chance to discuss your relevant prior learning or experience with your training provider and employer. You will all need to agree any adjustments to your training plan.
You should be prepared to show your competence, and evidence of relevant qualifications
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.