Apprentice Laboratory Support Technician IMPELLAM GROUP PLC
Laboratory Support Technicians perform a variety of support functions across multiple departments. You will liaise daily with members of the Synergy team and Client scientific teams across various departments, undertaking a range of lab support activities including Continuous Improvement (CI). The role is pivotal in quality and compliance.
Closing date: 22 Oct 2023
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
30 Oct 2023
13 Sep 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
The Apprentice Lab Support Technician will be a productive member of the Synergy team from day one, contributing to the success of the organisation and ultimately, delivering benefits to patients.
You will receive full training to enable you to work across a variety of GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) regulated environments and will spend time in Quality Control laboratories aligned with different functions, products, and stages of the pharmaceutical production workflow.
Aspects of the role will be developed in alignment with the Science Council Laboratory Technician Learning Guide, to reinforce learning and familiarity with topics such as ‘theory and use of lab equipment’ and separation science
- Following Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), ensuring compliance with all training and learning and requirements
- Receipt and booking in of samples and materials
- Accurate recording of data, developing skills with a range of corporate computer systems and Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS)
- Ordering, tracking, receipt and handling of consumables, spares, and equipment
- Consumable stock control within labs using Kanban systems and lean practices.
- Maintaining equipment spares and effective equipment storage
- Sample preparation, vial labelling and aliquoting
- Archiving of validation and other documentation
- Active involvement in Continuous Improvement and sustainability activities
- Supporting lab housekeeping, daily checks, and shutdowns
- Hazardous waste management including but not limited to, solvents, sharps, samples and chemical waste
- Takes part in cross training activities and provides cover for other members of the team as required
- Contributing to the preparation of reports
- Liaison with facilities teams to ensure smooth running of the laboratories
- Liaison with other service partners for engineering, waste management, cleaning, maintenance, and infrastructure issues
- Timely and accurate completion of documentation
- Ensure that all activities adhere to all appropriate standards (GxP, Safety and Security)
- Escalation of any issues to Team Leader
- Other duties as reasonably required
- The role holder is accountable for ensuring that all activities are delivered demonstrating behaviours and values aligned to Synergy’s Code of Conduct and supporting policies, standards, and procedures, including Health and Safety and Environment
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Level 3 Laboratory Technician: https://www.instituteforapprenticeships.org/apprenticeship-standards/laboratory-technician-v1-2
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
With additional experience, you could progress to become a team manager or lab supervisor. Some lab technicians also go on to specialize in complex analysis work. With an academic qualification and experience, there are ample opportunities for progressing into a senior research role.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade Grade 4/C or above) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Science (Grade Grade 4/C or above) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.