Teaching Assistant Apprentice - Term Time Only Wolverley CE Secondary School
The post-holder’s key role is to advance pupil learning in a range of classroom settings, which could mean working with individual pupils or small groups normally under the direction of a teacher, the Lead TA or the SENCO. You will supervise the activities of individuals or groups of children who have special needs to ensure their safety and facilitate their physical, social, intellectual and emotional development.
Closing date: 15 Oct 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 30
Possible start date
23 Oct 2023
05 Sep 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
Main tasks under the direction of and within an education plan provided by the classroom teacher:
- Within competence, assist the teacher in the delivery of educational and developmental work programmes
- Monitor and report individual children’s progress, achievements, problems and developmental needs to the classroom teacher or designated supervisor as appropriate
- Assist the classroom teacher in the planning of work programmes for individuals and groups of children
- Assist the teacher with learning activities in the classroom mediating the work for specific students under the direction of the class teacher and supporting students in carrying out this work
- Carry out appropriate activities as planned within the classroom or with groups of pupils including administration of baseline tests
- Display and present children’s work and operate visual aids
- Prepare and organise teaching resources including the checking and maintaining of classroom equipment and materials and control of stock within the classroom
- Assist with the physical manipulation of objects and equipment
- Undertake supervision, counselling and discipline of children and students, within the procedures of the school and/or service
- assist the teacher in liaising with parents and professionals such as speech therapists
- Assist at an appropriate level with the provision of general care and welfare of children including: i) assistance with personal hygiene routine, ii) the changing of soiled clothing including its disposal in the appropriate way; ii) assisting with children’s injuries and where qualified, administering basic first aid; iv) (following consultation and agreement) to assist with the administering of medicines under the direction of the appropriate medical staff; v) assist with the identification and monitoring of children’s general health and welfare
- Provide support for the literacy and numeracy strategies
- Assist in the implementation of programmes designed by other professionals such as educational psychologists and speech and language therapists
- Contribute to meetings to discuss the progress of specific students
- Assist with the provision of general care and welfare to pupils and to be mindful of the need to maintain a safe environment at all times
- Adhere to and maintain school routine, codes of conduct and ethos in particular using praise and encouragement to motivate students
- Assist with the support of group activities within and beyond the classroom eg PE, swimming, educational visits
- Maintain personal and professional development to meet the changing demands of the job, participate in appropriate training activities and encourage and support staff in their development and training
- Carry out specifically assigned tasks eg oversight and support for coursework in a particular subject
- Work with individuals or small groups of students who are withdrawn from normal lessons
- Liaise with one or more Curriculum Team Leaders over support and materials
- Supervise students at break and lunchtime as required
This job description is not necessarily a comprehensive definition of the post. The post-holder is expected to carry out any other tasks that the Headteacher and Lead TA may from time to time reasonably require. This job description allocates duties but does not direct the particular amount of time to be spent on carrying them out and no part of it may be so construed.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Teaching Assistant Level 3 Standard Apprenticeship.
Functional Skills in maths and English if required.
Full training will be provided on an ongoing daily basis and when required. You will be working towards a NVQ qualification. An assessor will be allocated to you to progress/help you through you course. Continual assessment for NVQ’s coupled with assignments/or exams depending on course of study. No college attendance is required, your course will be delivered in your workplace.
Time spent training will be part of the agreed contracted hours of the working week. At the end of your training, you will sit an exam and submit course work as part of your assessment, and you will receive a Level 3 qualification.
At the school, each Apprentice will have a mentor, this mentor is an extremely experience Teaching Assistant who will support, guide and train throughout the qualification. Each Apprentice will receive internal CPD in health & safety related topics (fire awareness etc), as well as receiving training in safeguarding, prevent and other important topics. The SEND team will provide bespoke training opportunities that relate directly to the role, the school and the students being supported.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The successful candidates will become part of the schools very successful SEND support team. The school has a strong track record of recruiting, training and permanently appointing Teaching Assistant via the apprenticeship route over previous years. The intention is to follow this pathway again via this new appointment.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
Wolverley CE Secondary School
DUDLEY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.