We offer a professional and nurturing environment, a fair salary, paid breaks, 30% staff discount, discount at the local Leisure Centre and free food on shift! You will be working with an experienced Michelin-trained head Chef, learning the skills of the kitchen, cooking from scratch and working in a popular and growing sustainable business. Duties includes being able to manage the portion size of foods and making sure it is presentable, troubleshooting issues during a service and coordinating with service staff and other kitchen staff and knowing how to respond to instructions, often under time pressure.
Closing date: 02 Oct 2023
Total hours per week: 30.0
Possible start date
03 Oct 2023
29 Aug 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
You will gain experience in all areas, building knowledge of varying techniques for food preparation and service.Our menu is ethical-driven, focusing on using seasonal, locally produced ingredients.
We pride ourselves on following a nutritional and wholesome approach to our meals. It’s a role that allows you to explore creative new ways of assembling and combining delicious meat and dairy free meals, to help people enjoy eating more plant-based foods.
We offer in return a friendly and supportive environment, teamwork, work-life balance, and most importantly, a place where your contribution will be valued and appreciated.
We work as a team at The SK, which means we all muck in, we celebrate our individual strengths and we work together to make sure we are collectively achieving high standards to benefit our community.
Expanding on plant-based cuisine at this pivotal time in the industry is more exciting than ever!
What are the job responsibilities? What this job requires of you will depend on your exact role, but some of the main responsibilities will include:
- Preparing a variety of plant-based ingredients for dishes
- Running or being a part of a service, which depends on the restaurant, could last anywhere from a few hours to all day or night
- Having essential cooking knowledge around techniques like chopping and dicing, or blanching and roasting
- Knowing how to safely handle your ingredients according to national food hygiene standards (food hygiene checks are carried out on a regular basis by local authorities, so it is important to be prepared)
- Being able to manage the portion size of foods and making sure it is presentable
- Troubleshooting issues during a service and coordinating with service staff and other kitchen staff
- Knowing how to respond to instructions, often under time pressure
- Maintaining an up-to-date stock inventory and making sure the correct amount of food is in stock
- Unpacking and storing stock
- Developing menus and menu design, ensuring they abide by nutritional standards and allergy description requirements
- Making and developing dishes within a budget
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Production Chef Standard Level 2
- Functional Skills level 1 / 2, if required
- On and off the job training and location to be confirmed
Please click on the link above for more information regarding End Point Assessment.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Potential opportunity for a role within the company following successful completion of the apprenticeship
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
About the employer
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.