As an apprentice butcher at David Withers Butchers, you will get hands-on experience of everything you would expect to see at a top quality butchers' shop. From learning how to cook pies and pasties for our cooked counter, to butchering our own hand-reared lambs for the fresh meat counter and serving our base of regular customers.
Closing date: 24 Oct 2023
£10,982.40 to £21,673.60
Pay is reviewed after 3 months.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).Minimum Wage Rates
Total hours per week: 40
Possible start date
25 Oct 2023
29 Aug 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
On a daily basis, we have a strong trade in hot food, in particular our pasties and sausage rolls. Priorities lie in prepping for the day ahead to ensure our hot counters are full, and then serving during peak times.
Weekly tasks therefore involve:
- Making pastry
- Prepping the pasties
- Making scotch eggs
- Baking pies
- Prepping and baking chickens from scratch
On our fresh counter we have the meat preparation for sale but we also have a large amount of flavoured BBQ products and ready meals. A typical week on this side of our operation can therefore involve:
- Butchery of joints such as pork chops, lamb neck and steaks
- Prepare various ready meal options, such as hunters' chicken, lamb koftas, burgers & stir frys
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Butcher Standards Level 2 Qualification
- FDQ Level 2 Award in Food Safety
- FDQ Level 2 Award in Health & Safety
- FDQ Level 2 Award in Knife Skills
- Level 1/2 Functional skills in English and maths if required
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- We are hoping to grow the family business and would love for the apprentice to stay with the shop after they have finished their course to help us achieve this ambition!
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C/4) Desired
About the employer
DAVID WITHERS LIMITED
MEAT EAST ANGLIA TRADES (IPSWICH) LIMITED
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.