The role will be varied and will involve exposure to a combination of duties required in payroll and pension administration. The post holder will work alongside the payroll administrator in ensuring that information received is accurate and has followed the appropriate authorisation for payroll payments.
Closing date: 05 Oct 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
09 Oct 2023
05 Sep 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
IntraHealth have an exciting opportunity for a Payroll and Admin Apprentice to join our Finance Team, based at our Head Office at William Brown Centre in Peterlee, County Durham.
The ideal candidate will have a strong academic background, particularly in maths. They will have proficient ability with IT, especially MS Excel and Outlook. You must be an excellent communicator, team player, hardworking and flexible to learn new skills and adapt easily to change in a busy forward-thinking company.
Operational duties - Payroll:
- Assist the payroll administrator in the preparation and processing of monthly payroll for over 1000 employees
- Collate all necessary information requested by the Outsource Provider in a timely manner, ensuring accuracy and relevance
- Check how many hours employees have worked to correctly identify overtime claims, applying challenge where appropriate
- Manually calculate sickness payments and advise the Outsource Provider accordingly of employees eligibility for full, half and SSP. Send letters to employees when full pay has ended
- Check payslips received from Outsource Provider agree to adjustments for change in circumstances, uplifts, starters and leavers forms received from HR. As well as any changes in tax codes, salary sacrifice schemes and pension opt in/out forms received. Highlight any errors to Outsource Provider for reprocessing
- Alongside the payroll administrator answer staff queries about timesheets or pay slips
- Liaise with HR department where appropriate
- Adhere to payroll policies and procedures and comply with relevant law
- Honour confidentiality of colleagues' pay records
- Process weekly expenses claims in accordance with the company’s processes and procedures
- Update the relevant systems with colleague’s motor insurance details
- Answer staff queries
- Setup colleagues’ information on the training database and review certificates for compliance
- Provide reports on colleague’s mandatory training status
- Input and maintain financial data into spreadsheets as required with speed and accuracy ensuring supporting evidence is available and retained
- Identify errors and discrepancies and take ownership of queries, liaising both internally with other departments, and externally with suppliers (mainly Outsource Provider, HMRC and pension), to resolve in a timely manner, referring complex queries to your line manager as required
- Assist with payroll related balance sheet reconciliations and investigate differences to ensure variances are swiftly resolved
- Demonstrate good organisational skills, supporting all colleagues in the team to manage demanding workloads, meet deadlines and work under pressure
- Ensure knowledge is up to date with statutory and legislative regulations in relation to payroll
- Undertake general admin tasks e.g. dealing with items of correspondence, telephone messages & enquiries and filing
- To be proactive in the development and continuous improvement of the role
- Provide support or cover for other members of the finance team, at a level commensurate with your grade, as directed by your line manager or supervisor
- Ad hoc tasks to meet the needs of the business
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 3 Business Administrator Apprenticeship Standard
- Maths and English Functional Skills if required - if not required, maths and English upskill will still be provided but you do not need to sit an exam
- Preparation for End Point Assessment
- 'Blended on/off the job training and location to be confirmed
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- Possibility of permanent employment and going on to complete further qualifications
- An apprenticeship allows you to earn a wage, gain valuable work experience and industry specific competence
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Things to consider
About the employer
EAST DURHAM COLLEGE
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.