Assistant Accountant Level 3 Apprentice Bishop Milner Catholic College
To undertake finance duties as part of the central services team. To provide assistance with day to day financial and operational administration of a group of schools with the potential to grow, reporting to the Chief Finance Officer.
Closing date: 08 Oct 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37
Possible start date
16 Oct 2023
17 Jul 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
The post holder will be expected to provide an efficient, effective and compliant service ensuring that the highest standards are achieved at all times. The post holder is required to be flexible in their approach to work, with a positive attitude and work with honesty, confidentiality and integrity whilst carrying out their duties at all times.
Duties and responsibilities will include but are not limited to, those outlined in this job description. This job description may be modified by the Board of Directors, to reflect or anticipate changes in the role, commensurate with the salary and job title.
- Ensure that adequate financial systems and procedures are in place in line with Audit requirements; the relevant financial management policies and Academies Handbook and value for money objectives.
- Work within prescribed financial regulations and ensure budget holders compliance.
- Setting of schools’ budgets, monitoring income and expenditure, projected outturns and 3/5 year plans prior to approval by the Chief Finance Officer.
- Assist the Senior Operations Manager in the preparation of all financial returns for the ESFA and other Government agencies within statutory guidelines.
- Be supportive of the audit process that any school/college within the MAC is required to undergo.
- To provide salary information as requested for the preparation of the annual accounts and audit.
- Take an active role in the facilitation of audit inspections on at least an annual basis.
- Ensure that your group of schools are in receipt of all funds and income streams that it is entitled to.
- To authorise all orders and invoices on the finance system for all schools, ensuring financial procedures have been adhered to.
- To use the identified finance software and ensure it is fit for purpose.
- Monitoring internal budget holders and ensuring that budgetary control is maintained.
- Provide budget holders with a termly report for their current budgetary position.
- Enter approved and revised budgets onto the finance system when required.
- To ensure the control and co-ordination of purchasing and servicing arrangements within the schools including quotations, tenders, orders, liaison with suppliers and advise on procedures working with the Senior Operations Manager.
- Prepare and deliver all school financial reports for MAC schools and their committees, support the Senior Operations Manager in reporting to the Board of Directors, developing the suite of reports to suit the changing needs of the MAC. This should include additional grants received, SEN notional budget analysis and Pupil Premium analysis.
- Checking payroll for all schools prior to payments being made.
- Have responsibility for preparing and entering the payroll journals for all schools onto the finance system within the deadline.
- Provide the Senior Operations Manager with the salary figures on a monthly basis for intercompany trading to enable bank transfers to be processed in a timely manner.
- To work with and support the process of management accounts, this includes accruals and month-end processing month-end journals on the finance system.
- To assist the Senior Operations Manager with the preparation of the Fixed Asset Register when required.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Level 3 Assistant Accountant Appenticeship Standard
Full training will be provided on an ongoing daily basis and when required. You will be required to attend Dudley College, Broadway Campus, Dudley one day per week to work towards your qualification. An assessor will be allocated to you to progress/help you through you course. Continual assessment for NVQ’s coupled with assignments/or exams depending on course of study. Time spent training will be part of the agreed contracted hours of the working week.
At the end of your training you will sit an exam and submit course work as part of your assessment, and you will receive a Level 3 qualification on completion.
Apprentices without English or maths at Level 2 must achieve this prior to taking the end-point assessment.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The possibility of a full-time position after the apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
Other Accounts/Finance (Grade Level 2) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
DUDLEY COLLEGE OF TECHNOLOGY
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.