We are looking for an apprentice prescription clerk to join our clinical team. You will be the main point of contact for patient enquiries about their prescriptions, so resilience is important. You will be liaising on sensitive medical information, so a caring customer service communication style is essential, delivering the technical aspects of prescription preparation to ensure the safe prescribing of medicines and maintaining accurate patient records promptly and quickly, entering data in accordance with reporting requirements.
Closing date: 01 Oct 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
02 Oct 2023
04 Jul 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Work with our GPs to provide a responsive repeat prescription service delegated to the prescription team as appropriate
- Delivering the technical aspects of prescription preparation to ensure the safe prescribing of medicines
- Delivering an efficient prescription service and ensuring service targets are met and errors are minimised
- Comply with legal and professional requirements, accepted guidance on professional practice, and with safe systems of work for re-authorising repeat prescriptions and to co-ordinate medication reviews or changes
- Liaise with pharmacies on the supply of prescribed drugs, alert our clinicians of any supply issues and forward information on the recommended alternatives
- Expedite urgent prescriptions to help ensure a safe and responsive service for our patients
- Respond to enquiries from patients, carers, secretaries, NHS administrators, consultants or the medicines management team in a courteous, timely and efficient manner, by telephone, letter and email, occasionally face-to-face and maintain precise records of the communications
- Provide an efficient administration service as part of a team to ensure the smooth running of the prescription support to our clinicians
- Ensure you are keeping patient information updated and that patient information is secure /kept confidential at all times
- Maintain accurate patient records promptly and quickly, entering data in accordance with reporting requirements
- Keep up to date with the practice’s formulary and the national restricted drugs list
- Bring any queries to the attention of the relevant doctor, to include under and over usage
- Using the correct formulary when ordering nursing supplies (appliance contractor)
- On the doctors’ instructions, inactivate drugs that have never been issued or have not been issued for a specified period of time
- Liaise with external pharmacy services and patients as necessary to resolve queries
- Check emails regularly and deal with them appropriately
- Create ‘tasks’ and assist clinicians in managing document workflow relating to prescriptions
- Escalate any problems to your line manager or practice manager that you need support with
- Provide cover for members of the prescription team during periods of sickness and annual leave
- When required, support GPs by assisting with document workflow within the practice
- Undertake training as requested to support safe and effective services for the practice
- Undertake any other additional duties appropriate to the post as requested by the partners or the practice manager
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Customer Service Practitioner Level 2 Standard
- Full training will be provided by the employer with the support of the training provider
- You will also be given off the job training hours by your employer
- Apprentices will be required to have or achieve level 1 English and maths and to have taken level 2 English and maths tests prior to completion of their apprenticeship
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- On successful completion of the Level 2 Apprenticeship, we will welcome and encourage you to apply for available roles within our organisation
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
About the employer
INDEPENDENT TRAINING SERVICES LIMITED
Customer service practitioner
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.