Pharmacy Apprentice Medisina Pharmacy
An excellent opportunity has arisen for an ambitious Pharmacy Apprentice to join our small team. As an Apprentice Pharmacy Assistant, you will learn to be the first point of contact for our customers who are from every walk of life whether they need healthcare advice or their prescription dispensed.
Closing date: 01 Jun 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Monday - Friday between 8.00am and 4.00pm (shifts). May work evenings and weekends.
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
01 Aug 2023
17 Apr 2023
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
Duties to include:
- You will be supported in learning how to deal with customer prescriptions accurately
- You will also be trained to order and label medication and manage and rotate stock levels
- We will also train you to understand about patient confidentiality and data protection which are especially important when dealing with operational queries with GP’s
- Replenishing stock, keeping shelves and shop area tidy
- Stock management and ordering from wholesaler (via computer after training). This also includes receiving stock delivery and putting away stock. Periodic date checking of stock
- Cleanliness of the shop – cleaning shelves, counter, floor etc. Cleanliness of other areas of the shop will be followed on a cleaning rota
- Liaising with the doctor surgery – collecting prescriptions and keeping good working relations with the surgery staff
- After training, being able to prepare patient prescription collection list, order prescriptions for patients via phone/walk-in. After training, being able to use the Pharmacy labelling system and other company software
- Sign up patients for repeat prescription service
- After training being able to sell OTC medicines with advice
- Dealing with customer queries, face to face and over the phone. Maintain a professional manner at all times
- Serving customers, operating cash register and taking credit card payments
- Ordering dispensary stock, putting away dispensary stock and periodically date checking
- All processes involved with dispensing of prescriptions. This includes using the Electronic Prescription Service
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Pharmacy Services Assistant Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard:
- There is a major shift from assessing to learning. Instead of continually assessing learners, assessors will be more like tutors or mentors – planning activities, sending feedback and supporting apprentices until the EPA (End Point Assessment)
- The EPAO (End Point Assessment Organisation) will then be responsible for assessing the apprentice
- Instead of assessing apprentices, on-programme learning will meet all the KSBs in the standard and prepare apprentices for their EPA
- Mentors will need to check which assessment methods are used in the EPA and do mock tests and practice runs as the apprentice approaches the EPA
- The standards include a 20% off-the-job training requirement. This means providers and employers need to work together to plan learning activities outside of the apprentice's normal working duties
- Off-the-job training is mandatory and will be audited, so it needs to be properly organised and recorded
- Apprentices are now graded according to their performance in the EPA. This means mentors will need to work closely with their learners to get the most out of them – planning activities to coach borderline apprentices and stretch and challenge high achievers
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
A full-time job will be available on completion of the apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4) Essential
About the employer
11 CANFORD CLOSE
BIRMINGHAM METROPOLITAN COLLEGE
Pharmacy services assistant
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.