Optical Assistant Apprenticeship ANGELA REED LIMITED
This vacancy is for an Apprentice Optical Assistant based in Kenilworth. The successful applicant will have the opportunity to undertake valuable work experience whilst gaining on the job qualifications. This is an excellent opportunity for a smart, ambitious and self-motivated individual to join a friendly environment.
Closing date: 30 Jun 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Shifts to be confirmed between 9.00am - 5.30pm 5 days a week
Total hours per week: 40.0
Possible start date
10 Jul 2023
17 Apr 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
A fantastic and unique opportunity to embark on a journey towards a great career. Starting at Optical Assistant level as an Apprentice with future opportunities for career progression you will be supported with loads of great, fun and interactive training.
You will use these exciting new skills in your day to day job where you will gain customer service skills, knowledge in optical support and develop behaviour suitable to work in an optical practice.
Those with a flair for fashion will love the new frames coming in and if it's your forte you may even get involved in meeting frame reps and helping choose the new ranges.
If you are more technical, you will get to learn lots of information about lenses and measurements, then you will transform that information into jargon free, easy to understand, customer friendly language.
It's all about teamwork in an Opticians practice, there are many roles but you support each other to make sure your customers get the best experience possible.
Optical assistants are a very important part of any Optical practice and crucial to the customer journey. Individuals with a real passion for both healthcare and retail really thrive in this role, as it's the perfect position for those who love to make a real difference to other people's lives.
The duties within this role include:
- Providing style advice
- Measuring frames
- Taking phone calls
- General office duties and responsibilities
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
- Level 2 Optical Assistant Apprenticeship Standard
- Functional Skills Level 1 in Functional skills maths and Literacy, can be obtained on the course (if required)
- Enhancement / challenge - how to develop ourselves
- Equality and diversity - treating others equally, respect / accept others from different backgrounds
- British values - democracy, rule of law, respect and tolerance, individual liberty
- Prevent - safeguarding individuals from being drawn into terrorism
- Digital skills - keeping up with technology and effective use
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
- The successful candidate will work towards achieving a level 2 qualification in Optical with experience in a busy Optical Practice
- Upon completion of the Level 2 qualification, you will be an experienced and qualified optical assistant, and as such you can continue building up skills that will always be in demand. Career breaks and part time working are often possible
You could go on to acquire higher level optical qualifications such as:
- Ophthalmic Dispensing- Become a qualified Dispensing Optician.
- Contact lens Optician - fit Contact lenses
- Low vision specialist - help people where traditional spectacles will not suffice. Supply low vision aids, magnifiers, advice on improving contrast and on other non Optical aids such as bump-ons
- Optometry courses - carry out full eye examinations and issue prescriptions
- Clinical representative- visiting practices introducing new frame ranges and Ophthalmic lenses
- In-practice trainer - You could use your knowledge to train others
Other non-clinical roles:
- Practice Management - Go into a Management course
- Practice ownership - Go into business yourself, partnership or Franchise
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 4 (C) or above) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
ANGELA REED LIMITED
20 TALISMAN SQUARE
TRAINING 2000 LIMITED
Optical assistant 2022
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.