Tax Assistant Apprentice Alexander & Co LLP
Alexander & Co are looking for an ambitious apprentice to join their team and study towards the level 3 and 4 AAT qualifications. Gain an industry recognised qualification and get your foot in the door at a chartered accountants! You will be fully trained and supported.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2023
9am – 5:15pm (this can be flexed to suit candidate) Not required to WFH but can choose to do so 1 day per week once capable of working alone.
Total hours per week: 36.25
Possible start date
01 Oct 2023
07 Mar 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
The role will initially be the preparation of tax returns and similar; Administration associated with this; later leading to tax research and support on tax advisory work. All work will be supervised.
Typical job duties would be:
- Tax Returns – Preparation and submission of self assessment tax returns – correspond with clients to gather relevant data and prepare the tax return forms. Calculate the appropriate amount of tax payable and report this to client with explanatory notes. Answer queries where required. Submit returns to HMRC following approval from the client.
- P11Ds – Preparation and submission of company forms P11D
- Tax Codes – Review client tax codes – Check tax codes based on latest information on file and correspond with HMRC to correct any codes when needed. Check revised codes have been operated against clients payslip when available.
- Self Assessment statements – Review statements to ensure taxes charged match expected liabilities and issue payment reminders ahead of payment deadlines.
- Capital Gains Tax – Prepare calculations of capital gains tax on disposal of assets to include items such as company shares & property. Prepare CGT returns for disposal of residential property and correspond with the client to ensure returns are filed promptly.
- Data analysis – Review and document historical data into modern format to assist with client matters where required. This could be for ongoing compliance or historical corrections.
- Disclosures to HMRC – Prepare historical calculations for under declared tax and complete online disclosure process. Calculate late payment interest charges on any tax owed and self assessment penalties for non-compliance where necessary.
- Billing and debtors – Prepare and issue invoices to client following the successful completion of work. Follow up instances where clients haven’t settled their fees within an acceptable time frame.
- Client meetings – Attend (and eventually host) client meetings to build relationships and maintain rapport to ensure clients’ needs are met.
- Research – Carrying out effective research and providing thoughtful feedback to senior management on circumstances of a case.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Alongside your duties you will also study towards the level 3 Assistant Accountant, and the level 4 Professional Accounting apprenticeship qualifications. The company strives to develop the team and to give all members of staff the opportunity to fulfil their own personal goals through a fully supported but challenged environment.
Level 3 Assistant Accountant Apprenticeship Standard, which include:
- Level 2 AAT qualification (if required)
- Level 3 AAT qualification
- Functional skills in English, maths, and ICT (if applicable)
- End-Point Assessment (EPA)
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities (ERR)
- Personal Learning and Thinking Skills (PLTS)
- Progression to level 4 AAT
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The position could lead to a permanent role and further study support for the right candidate.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade C/5) Essential
About the employer
Alexander & Co LLP
THE APPRENTICE ACADEMY LIMITED
0161 200 1673
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.