Kier Construction is looking to recruit a Digital Construction Apprentice to work on their Accelerated Houseblock Development Project (AHDP), based out of Rushden Northamptonshire.
Closing date: 09 Feb 2023
Company car included
Total hours per week: 40
Possible start date
23 Feb 2023
10 Jan 2023
Level 3 (A level)
What will the apprentice be doing?
This role will involve working with the Digital Construction and Information Management functions, key internal and external stakeholders, and the wider project team to facilitate the implementation of digital construction in line with our Digital by Default strategy across the business. You will need a driving licence to visit external client sites.
Administration & Commercial:
- Support the collation and preparation of information to report progress of digital deliverables and maturity on projects
- Contribute, where practicable, to pre-qualification questionnaires (PQQ) and bid responses
- Produce and feedback any case study / best practice to the wider team
- Develop knowledge and awareness of industry standards and their application and intent
- Assist in the assessment of the supply chain with respect to BIM capability
Communication, Implementation & Technical:
- Support the digital construction team in educating and raising awareness with respect to our digital deliverables on projects
- Develop technical skills related to principal authoring software to review and overlay graphical information and assist with modelling challenges and simple take-offs
- Develop technical skills related to model viewing and federation software to holistically review graphical information and assist with the clash detection and the issue management processes to coordinate tasks
- Develop technical skills to review model data related to client information requirements
- Understand the function of a Common Data Environment (CDE)
- Support and champion the use of the CDE across relevant projects and collaborate with the information management team to ensure our deliverables are managed and on track
- Support the delivery of BIM and digital training to internal colleagues and external consultants / subcontractors
- Promote open BIM and collaborative working, championing the use of industry foundation class IFC as our preferred format
- Liaise with external consultants to ensure project deliverables are maintained in accordance with the BIM Execution Plan
- Establish a high standard and quality of communication, and therefore embrace the collaborative culture instilled through our Digital by Default strategy, with the project team to solve project challenges and facilitate lean processes
- Support project teams to overcome problems using digital solutions and methodologies
- Development of technical skills, including Field BIM/4D sequencing/Drone capture/Scan2BIM verification/progress capture, and more
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
The qualification you will gain is: Digital Engineering Technician Level 3
You will learn how to:
The conclusion of Digital Construction/Engineering Fundamentals will leave the Learner with knowledge of BIM and the type of data that can be contained within a BIM model and its use throughout the project lifecycle. It will provide hands on training so that the learner can create a BIM model and manipulate, review and manage external models.
Learners will also develop an understanding of design control and workflows including a practical workshop showing how this will be managed using BIM tools to appropriate Standards.
How will it be delivered:
- Digital Engineering Technician Skills, Knowledge & Behaviours – delivered in the workplace
- NVQ Level 3 Diploma in Built Environment Design - delivered in the workplace
- Level 3 BTEC in Construction and the Built Environment – Day Release or Remote Delivery
- Specialist Training Programme Blocks of your choice - in Barnsley, South Yorkshire
- End Point Assessment – Practical and Structured Interview - delivered in workplace
Apprentices must show commitment to the following:
- To achieve apprenticeship standard within the specified time frame
- Attend the apprenticeship induction programme
- Attend all of the training sessions for the programme whenever necessary
- Undertake any other required development work as part of the apprenticeship programme as requested
- Any other duties as deemed appropriate by senior staff
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
Kier offers a variety of progression routes due to its size and geographical locations. This includes further career development programmes which support individuals to achieve professional recognition within their chosen occupation.
This apprenticeship role is permanent from day one, and from the outset your mentor will help identify, and work to develop you, towards your next role in Kier.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade A - C or 4 - 9) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Science (Grade A - C or 4 - 9) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
T3 TRAINING & DEVELOPMENT LTD
Digital engineering technician
Level 3 (A level)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.