We would love to welcome to our farm, a farm apprentice to learn everything about caring for our livestock. This will involve animal husbandry of cattle and sheep, taking care of their health and wellbeing throughout the year.
Closing date: 24 Feb 2023
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 30
Possible start date
06 Mar 2023
14 Nov 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
As part of our team, within our family run farm, you will be trained in:
- Checking the livestock on a regular basis, learning what to look for and what causes concern.
- Monitoring their health and welfare against certain standards.
- Working with the farmer to recognise common health issues.
- Knowing who to inform about concerns and what to do to support the animals.
- Using different ways to round up and treat livestock at various times throughout the year.
- Going out to check and repair, if necessary, any fences, hedges or other boundaries.
- Learning what kind of medicines and supplements (vitamins) are used and learning how to administer them.
- Helping at lambing/calving times.
- Learning all aspects of livestock husbandry which is the full life cycle of the animals.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Full Farm Woker Level 2 Standard
Workplace based and an assessor will visit regularly to check you are on track with your learning, provide you with tasks and resources to learn the units in the apprenticeship programme.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The opportunity to continue with your training and learning as well as gaining full time employment on the farm. Or secure the skills, knowledge and behaviours of a farm worker in livestock to enable you to secure further employment in the industry, on the successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 9-2 or A*-E) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
Shipley Lane Farm
CITY OF SUNDERLAND COLLEGE
General farm worker
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.