Hindley Hall Golf Club in Aspull near Wigan are looking to recruit an Apprentice Golf greenkeeper to assist in the day-to-day set up and maintenance of the course, all the related practice facilities and planted areas. This is a fantastic opportunity for anyone with a keen interest in golf and greenkeeping.
Closing date: 30 Oct 2022
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 37.5
Possible start date
01 Nov 2022
25 Aug 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
What will the apprentice be doing?
- Working as part of a 4/5-man team.
- Initialy learning basic greenkeeping skills before progressing onto using greenkeeping machinery.
- Preparing the course to an acceptable standard.
- Maintain machines to an established routine.
- Conform to all aspects of health & safety policy.
What training will the apprentice take and what qualification will the apprentice get at the end?
Training will be provided in the workplace through Myerscough College where you will work towards the Golf Greenkeeper Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard.
The apprenticeship is made up of a number of different nationally recognised qualifications which are as follows:
- City & Guilds certificate in Golf Greenkeeping
- The qualification is made up of a number of mandatory units designed to have maximum relevance to the job & integrate with day-to-day responsibilities.
- End assessment, conducted by an independent assessor, which include:
- Knowledge test (30% of grading)
- Personal statement & portfolio of evidence (20% of grading)
- Course walk & practical end assessment 5 – 6 hours (50% of grading)
- There will be 3 levels of achievement: Pass, Merit & Distinction.
This standard is recognised by the British & International Golf Greenkeepers Association (BIGGA), the Professional Body for Greenkeepers. At the start of the apprenticeship the apprentice will be registered with BIGGA. Upon completion of this standard the apprentice will be eligible to join BIGGA as a full member and become a BIGGA Accredited Greenkeeper.
What is the expected career progression after this apprenticeship?
The position of qualified greenkeeper can lead to many opportunities both in the UK and further afield. We are pro-active in enabling our employees to undertake further training courses to improve their skill set (i.e. chainsaw training).
Requirements and prospects
Desired skills and personal qualities
GCSE or equivalent English (Grade 3-9/D-A*) Essential
GCSE or equivalent Maths (Grade 3-9/D-A*) Essential
Things to consider
About the employer
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.