Apprentice Chef - Level 2 The Crown Public House
Apprentice Chef wanted for busy family run gastro pub in Cuckfield, West Sussex. The successful candidate will have training in all aspects of the kitchen with the view to be taken on full time at the end of the training. Areas covered are health and hygiene, preparation and cooking of food, ordering and menu planning.
Closing date: 04 Sep 2017
The current National Minimum Wage for an apprentice is £3.50 an hour. This rate applies to apprentices under 19 and those aged 19 or over who are in their first year.
Apprentices must be paid at least the minimum wage rate for their age if they are aged 19 or over and have completed their first year.
The minimum wage rates are £5.60 an hour for 18-20 year olds and £7.05 for anyone aged 21 and over.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that’s part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
06 Sep 2017
27 Feb 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
The Crown are expanding quality food led business and looking for enthusiastic and reliable trainees in our kitchens.
You will be working directly for the owners who are passionate about training and you can expect to be preparing the highest quality food where presentation is equally important. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to work in all areas of the kitchen alongside working towards an NVQ Level 2 in Professional Cookery.
You will be paid the Apprenticeship wage plus tips.
Requirements and prospects
- Ability to work under pressure
- Works well within a team environment.
- Character is more important than skills at this stage.
- Basic cooking skills
- As above, with the desire to learn and progress in the industry
- Commitment in working towards a qualification in Professional Cookery
- GCSE Maths and English grade E or above/equivalent. If you do not have the grades you will have to work towards Functional skills in English and Maths which is carried out in college one morning per week.
- Grade C will be exempt from Functional Skills in English and Maths.
- Grade D will exempt you from Functional Skills Level 1 in English and Maths and you will then be offered Level 2
- Grade E - mandatory English and Maths Functional Skills Level 1
Things to consider
About the employer
Apprentices are allocated an Assessor who visits the apprentice in the workplace approx. every 4 weeks. Visits include some 1 to 1 time, observation of the learner working as part of the assessment and feedback process.
The Apprenticeship is made up of the following components:
1. Diploma (Level 2) - this is the practical and technical based component where the apprentice demonstrates that they have the skills and knowledge to meet the required national standard. Exams are taken for each module of the Certificate
2. Functional Skills, if required, are delivered at the college and are made up of English and Maths. The Apprentice builds up a portfolio of both to show they are able to effectively communicate and use numbers in the workplace. Each Functional Skill is assessed by an online test and a portfolio of evidence. The level of Functional Skill will depend on the level of the apprenticeship.
4. ERR (Employment Rights and Responsibilities). This component is used to make Apprentices aware of their employment rights and responsibilities. The apprentice completes this component in question and answer format in a workbook
5. PLTS (Personal Learning and Thinking Skills) comprises six groups of skills that together with the Functional Skills are essential to success in learning, life and work. These are; managing one's self, managing relationships with others, managing one's own learning performance and work. These are embedded within the other components of the apprenticeship framework
Catering and Professional Chefs
CITY COLLEGE BRIGHTON AND HOVE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by City College Brighton & Hove
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 04 Sep 2017