Apprentice Aquatics Assistant CHAILEY HERITAGE FOUNDATION
Chailey Heritage Foundation are recruiting for an Apprentice Aquatics Assistant to join their aquatics provision.
Closing date: 10 Oct 2017
£129.50 - £220.00
Total hours per week: 37.00
Possible start date
22 Oct 2017
24 Feb 2017
Intermediate Level Apprenticeship
- To undertake and successfully complete a one year apprenticeship training programme with Chailey Heritage Foundation working primarily in the Hydrotherapy Pool.
- The post holder will undertake a comprehensive programme of on the job training, external training courses and monthly assessments by a designated external assessor.
- To support the supervisory team in the effective operation of the Hydrotherapy Pool at Chailey Heritage Foundation on a day-to-day basis, supporting with the care of Young People (YP) and delivery of the Aquatics Curriculum objectives.
Main duties and responsibilities
Through appropriate training the post holder will gain knowledge and experience enabling them to contribute to the following key tasks towards running the facility:
- Through regular Personal Development Reviews and the Apprenticeship framework identify and agree internal and external training courses as appropriate to the post. This includes the ASA Level 1 and 2 Teaching Aquatics qualifications.
- With support from line managers contribute to ensuring that all delivery meets appropriate Health & Safety standards including the adoption of safe working practices, risk assessment and compliance with National Governing Bodies for sport guidance on the safe use of equipment and delivery of activity.
- Gain knowledge and experience in the Foundation’s professional standards to ensure students and customers enjoy a safe experience whilst delivering an effective service at all times.
- Assist, and with experience and relevant qualifications, lead swimming coaching and instructional activities as designated by the Aquatics Manager
- In consultation with the Aquatics Manager, plan suitable, progressive activity for the delivery of aquatics sessions that is appropriate to the facility and within ASA guidelines, whilst ensuring that all aspects of the delivery are individual to the participant.
- Be aware of fire exits, assembly points, reporting mechanisms in an emergency to be effective in assisting with the safe evacuation of the facility in the case of a fire or other emergency.
- Upon achievement of the National Pool Lifeguard Qualification, act as a pool lifeguard and Aquatics Assistant, ensuring pool users safety. Control time sessions, perform lifesaving duties and administer first aid, as required.
- Understand the need for high quality customer care and contribute towards providing a high quality experience for users. Duties will be wide ranging and as well as teaching swimming / aquatics programmes and lifeguarding (when qualified) will include administration, answering the phone, dealing with customers face to face in a positive, reliable and pleasant way.
- Be sufficiently flexible to provide cover for Aquatic Assistants and Swimming Teaching staff (when qualified) during annual leave and periods of sickness. Duties will include day time, evening and weekend working.
- Using Microsoft Office and IT equipment, provide activity reports when requested to the chosen project lead officer and Aquatics Manager
- When aquatic sessions are unable to take place, work alongside classroom assistants and lead a suitable PE activity as an alternative.
- Be aware of the health and medical needs of the YP and to assist, following necessary training, with all interventions required to care for the pupil in a holistic manner to maintain their everyday health care needs including gastrostomy, epilepsy management, individual catheterisation, spinal board retrieval and others as required due to the changing needs of the pupils.
- Carry out any other duties that are within the scope and grading of the post which could be requested by the Aquatics Manager.
Requirements and prospects
- Swimming ability and appropriate level of fitness required to maintain the National Pool Lifeguard Qualification.
- An ability to analyse problems, situations and information, think laterally and take decisive action.
- Good communication skills.
- Time management and ability to prioritise tasks.
- Available to work on an early, late shift rota system that includes evenings and weekends.
- A minimum of 5 GCSEs or equivalent.
Things to consider
About the employer
- NVQ Level 2 in Activity Leadership
- ASA Level 1 Swimming Assistant (Teaching)
- ASA Level 2 Teaching Aquatics
- 1st 4 Sport Level 2 Employment Awareness in Active Leisure and Learning
- Functional Skills in Math’s and English (if required)
Other qualifications that can also be included:
- RLSS National Pool Lifeguard Qualification (NPLQ)
- STA Level 2 Pool Water Testing
- HABC Level 2 Health & Safety
- RLSS Level 2 Emergency First Aid at Work
- HABC Level 2 Food Safety in Catering
FUNCTIONAL SKILLS UK LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by FUNCTIONAL SKILLS UK LIMITED
Swim UK 01273 434400 email@example.com
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.
Closing date: 10 Oct 2017