Customer Service Advisor Apprentice Hovertravel Ltd
As a Hovercraft Service Agent you will be the first point of contact for our passengers, welcoming and guiding customers at our Southsea terminal, from pavement to pad. You will be in a position to make a real difference to the customers’ experience as they start their journey.
Closing date: 30 Jul 2022
To be agreed upon appointment
Total hours per week: 35.00
Possible start date
10 Aug 2022
04 Mar 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
Our Hovercraft Service Agents are people with a passion for customer service, who are happy to go that extra mile, with a drive to succeed and grow at every opportunity. If you love helping people, you could start a career as a Hovercraft Service Agent.
This will include but is not limited to; serving customers on the desk, selling tickets, supervising the craft departure, assisting passengers with their luggage, ensuring passengers safely embark and disembark from the craft, loading and unloading the hovercraft of freight and luggage.
All staff are required to carry out a range of Hovercraft handling related activities as directed by the Company through its policies, procedures and training to facilitate the success of the operation in which you have been trained, including, but not limited to the following:
- Greet passengers at the terminals
- Answer general enquiries and provide travel advice to walk in customers
- Sell and issue published flight tickets, process freight and sell other merchandise and products as deemed appropriate by the Company
- Operate and maintain the Company ticketing and booking system, ensuring that it is kept accurate and up to date at all times.
- Receive payment by cash, cheque, credit cards, vouchers, or automatic debits.
- Issue receipts or change due to customers within Company guidelines.
- Reconcile the balance of the amount of money taken in with the total sales recorded at end of each shift.
- Answer enquiries related to the Companies web booking system resolving issues where possible.
- Provide advice to passengers on our product range and taking the opportunity to up-sell where appropriate.
- General administration as required.
- Fully comply with and implement all Company policies including: Health and Safety, Training, Equal Opportunities, Harassment and Data Protection
- Ensure that all services are provided in accordance with current legislation and Company Policy.
- Be responsible for the safety of passengers, dealing with security and emergency situations in and around the terminal and on- board.
- Actively promote Hovertravel to internal and external customers, carrying out all duties in an efficient, professional and courteous manner; clearly and effectively communicating with customers and staff
- Attend to passengers' needs throughout their Hovertravel experience and provide a high level of customer service being friendly, enthusiastic and courteous at all times.
- Operate all equipment in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with the relevant training received.
- Report any hazard, damage, fault or irregularity to the appropriate manager irrespective of the circumstances.
- Ensure the needs of any passengers with special requirements, such as passengers in wheelchairs or infants are attended to.
- Adhere to Company uniform standards at all times ensuring correct use / wear of safety equipment.
- Ensure the security of all company property and premises by all reasonable means.
- Marshall inbound and outbound passengers.
- Strive to maintain the published operating schedule
- Carry out any other reasonable task as requested by a senior member of staff for which you have been trained and equipped.
Additional duties to support the operation, where required:
- Assist with the control of passengers and the general public in and around the terminal building. Provide assistance in managing the queues outside the terminal, directing the passengers inside the terminal and managing the boarding process within the terminal and on the landing area.
- Assist passengers with their luggage and ensuring passengers safely embark and disembark from the craft.
- Loading and unloading the hovercraft of freight and luggage in a safe and efficient manner, in accordance with the relevant handling procedures.
- Carry out pre-flight arrival and departure checks.
- Ensuring the terminal building and surrounding area (including the landing area, beach and front of the building) are kept clean and tidy at all times. This may include, but is not limited to, sweeping / shovelling the landing area, sweeping the areas in front of and around the terminal, collecting litter on the beach, cleaning and tidying the inside of the terminal (including the waiting rooms, staff rooms, windows and toilets) and empting bins.
- Supervise the craft departure or travel with the craft when required.
- Other appropriate duties as required.
- To ensure the best use of the companies resources and assets at all times.
- To actively participate in the fulfilment of personal and team objectives.
- Pursue personal development of skills and knowledge necessary for the effective performance of the role.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, supervisors and external contacts.
- Attend training and maintain a satisfactory standard of knowledge of all operational and safety procedures which will allow for successful completion of all mandatory tests.
Requirements and prospects
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent customer services skills
- Team player
- A desire to own and drive your own personal development
- Able to be self-motivated and achieve results on own motivation.
Friendly, enthusiastic, team player, desire to learn and develop
For this standard A*-C 9/4 in maths and English or equivalent is desirable, however all applicants will be considered on merit subject to initial assessment against the requirements of the standard.
Basic knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel essential.
Willingness to learn is key.
Progression to be full time Hovercraft Handling Agent (HHA) or Hovertravel Service Agent. HHA includes ‘crew’ training (recognised maritime training courses to enable the HHA to crew the craft and deal with emergency situations at sea). All apprentices will be invited to apply for a role when a vacancy arises for when the apprenticeship has been completed.
Potential to progress to Team Leader, Duty Manager and beyond (more than one of our management team started as handling agents!)
Things to consider
There are no pre-requisites for the job, however we are looking for people with the right 'can do', friendly approach. One of our key USP's is our friendly service to passengers so anyone joining the team will have to fit with this.
*For progression to crew duties, there are some medical requirements that need to be met and so those with any medical challenges/concerns may need to discuss those with us.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
The Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage guide is updated every April (ANMW): https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
Hovertravel is the world’s longest running commercial hovercraft service and is the only scheduled passenger hovercraft service in the Europe. Hovertravel offers the fastest way to cross the Solent between Southsea, Portsmouth and Ryde, Isle of Wight. Hovertravel operate two hovercraft with a frequent service (plus additional services at commuter times) and the journey time is just under 10 minutes.
The hovercraft is a tourist attraction in its own right. Hovertravel was established in 1965 and over 29 million passengers have travelled on the service. The advantage of the hovercraft is that they can travel at extremely low tides. If it hadn't been for the tides, Hovertravel might never have existed. The low tides at Ryde, take the sea out far beyond the town's esplanade, and it has always been impossible for any ship to berth anywhere near roads or bus routes. Until 1965, the only passenger ferries from Portsmouth stopped at the end of Ryde’s third of a mile long pier.
HAVANT AND SOUTH DOWNS COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by South Downs College
Amy Stafford 07715 211891 firstname.lastname@example.org
Level 2 Customer service practitioner
As an Apprentice, you will have the opportunity to study the following through this Apprenticeship:
- Apprenticeship in Customer Service
- Employee Rights and Responsibilities
- End Point Assessment
- English, maths and ICT if required
At Havant & South Downs College we offer different methods of delivery either work based or day release. This will be discussed with you upon appointment.
Customer service practitioner
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.