Apprentice Butcher Butcher & Deli
You will assist in the day to day running of the butcher’s including laying out counter displays, butchering and preparing beef, lamb, pork, poultry and game, as required for the shop and for customer orders and serving customers.
Closing date: 31 May 2022
To be agreed upon appointment
Total hours per week: 30.00
Possible start date
01 Jun 2022
11 Feb 2022
Level 2 (GCSE)
- Setting up of the shop in the morning - including counter displays and generally ensuring the shop is set up and ready for trading.
- Serving customers throughout the day from the butchers counter and taking customer orders over the phone
- Breaking down and preparing of all produce. Breaking down as required from carcass and presenting ready for sale to customers. Ensuring all produce that is out for sale is fit for sale in terms of presentation and freshness.
- Taking in deliveries from suppliers and ensuring all items are present and fresh for us to accept.
- Assisting with the making of sausages, as required.
- Maintaining a clean and hygienic working environment, both in and around the serving area and also in the back of the shop food prep areas. Maintaining clean and hygenic storage areas, including proper stock rotation of produce in storage fridges and freezers as well as shop floor counters, fridges and freezers.
Requirements and prospects
- Ability to butcher a wide range of cuts of meat, with minimal waste, precision cutting and attention to detail for attractive presentation to the customers
- Attention to detail.
- Polite, friendly and approachable demeanour.
- Punctual and hardworking.
- Desire to learn and enthusiasm for the role and development thereof.
- Ongoing progression and potential to gain further experience in all areas of butchery.
- Opportunity to take on responsibility within the role as capability and experience is gained.
Things to consider
- Own transport is preferred but not essential. Location is the high street of Rustington so public transport is easily accessible.
- We offer an exciting working environment with the opportunity to progress and take on more responsibility. As part of a small team you will be an integral part of the business and receive support and recognition from your colleagues.
- Paid holidays including bank holidays - pro rata to your working hours.
- Weekly meat allowance.
- Tea, coffee and lunches all provided whilst you work.
- Christmas bonus and the potential for other work related bonuses in line with performance.
- Company pension scheme in place.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).
About the employer
A long established and highly regarding butchers and delicatessen on the high street of the busy and thriving town of Rustington. We are a traditional butchers, priding ourselves on top quality produce, locally sourced where possible. We break down from carcass to give the best quality cuts and make a wide range of flavours in our ever popular sausages. Our delicatessen stocks a wide range of local cheeses, charcuterie and other produce, which compliments the butcher’s well and together we aim to offer our customers a complete shopping experience. We pride ourselves on our excellent customer service and the relationships we build with our often longstanding customers. We are proud that we were finalists in the Sussex Food & Drink Awards for Butcher Shop of The Year in 2019, making the final three.
Butcher & Deli
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Plumpton College
Alice Hutchinson 01273 892127 email@example.com
WHAT APPRENTICES WILL LEARN
- Knife skills - including cutting, boning, trimming and mincing of meat
- Health and safety practices, food safety and hygiene and key legislation
- Using butchery tools and machinery – including mincing, sausage making, bacon curing, vacuum packing
- Business profitability, maximising productivity, efficiency and customer care
- Team work and customer care skills
- Specialist retail shop or processing plant butchery skills
- Apprenticeship Certificate
- Level 2 award in food safety
- Level 2 award in health and safety
- Level 2 award in knife skills
- Level 1 in maths and English (if applicable)
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.