Commis Chef Apprentice Devour
This is a fantastic opportunity for someone who is passionate about food and has a strong desire to start a culinary career within an innovative growing business.
Closing date: 21 Jul 2022
£192.40 to £380.00
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week).Minimum Wage Rates
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Aug 2022
01 Oct 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
This is an opportunity to learn all there is to know about the trade.
- Take directions and guidance from Senior Chefs and managers
- Maintain a high level of health, hygiene and safety when storing and preparing food
- Prepare vegetables / meats / sauces
- Supports the Senior Chefs as well as other kitchen employees in food production
- Assists the Head Chef in ensuring that food is prepared and served to the clients on time
- Assists the Head Chef in ensuring that health and safety standards are upheld in the kitchen
- Helps the Head Chef in the development of menus
- Assists the Head Chef in the ordering process
- Assists the kitchen staff in the storage of food
Requirements and prospects
- Communication and listening
- Attention to detail
- Quick thinker, able to react quickly to instruction
- A strong passion for food and interest in the industry
- Clean and presentable
- Team player
- Common sense approach
- Reliable and trustworthy
GCSE English and maths grade D/3 or above or equivalent.
- This is a growing business, for the right candidate there is potential for progression to Chef de Partie and beyond.
Things to consider
- Minimum wage for age bracket, this will increase in line with performance and progression through your apprenticeship
About the employer
Nestled in the picturesque and historic Holme Valley, a stone’s throw away from the cobbled streets of Holmfirth. Flanked between ancient woodland and the gentle ebb and flow of the river Holme…. lies DEVOUR. At DEVOUR it’s simple, we celebrate “Old School Italia!” with home-cooked food, Music, Family and Friends where we Sip, Share, Taste and Feast. Family is our passion; Italian food is our obsession. We create regionally seasonal dishes using simple fresh hero ingredients. Inspired by heritage, shaped by tradition, and LOVED by the family.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Kirklees College
Commis Chef Apprenticeship Level 2
Commis chef is the starting point in most kitchens. On your apprenticeship, you will spend a minimum of 30 hours working in industry and one day a week at college. In college, you will spend time in the kitchens with our chef lecturers developing your cooking skills and also working on your English and maths portfolios if required.
All apprentices will also get the chance to develop hot and cold desserts, produce cakes, biscuits and bread. By the end of your apprenticeship, you will have developed the correct techniques with knives and how to use a variety of kitchen tools and equipment. In the modern kitchen it is important to accommodate a range of specialist diets and understand the risks of allergies.
This apprenticeship will teach you the basic skills you need to be a commis chef in a busy kitchen covering all stations. You will learn how to prepare, cook and finish basic dishes, including fish and shellfish, poultry, meat and game, as well as learning to prepare vegetables. You will spend time mastering the skills required to make stocks and sauces, soups and egg dishes.
An important element of your apprenticeship will be understanding health, safety and security in the workplace and waste management. All chefs need to plan a menu, budget it and understand supply management. A well-run kitchen involves teamwork and this is a key part of your apprenticeship, as well as understanding the expected professional behaviour in the industry.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.