Horticulture Apprentice Trenython Manor Hotel & Resort
An incredible horticulture apprenticeship opportunity has been created at Trenython Manor, to join their highly skilled team, working in their 30 acre estate near Par.
Closing date: 29 Oct 2021
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
10 Jan 2022
29 Jul 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
The successful apprentice will spend time learning alongside their horticulture and estate team.
Training will be given in a wide range of horticultural and estate tasks, such as:
- Grass cutting
- Hedge trimming
- Border upkeep
- Upkeep of pathways
- Clearing and tidying of grounds
- General maintenance of the playpark and tortoise areas
- Estate management activities
- Chemical spraying
Ideally the estate is looking to appoint an individual who already hold some horticulture experience (demonstrated through either a part time opportunity, voluntary work or by tending to own/family’s garden, allotment or land).
This is not completely necessary as long as interest and determination is clearly demonstrated.
Requirements and prospects
A level of practical knowledge and understanding relating to gardening would be helpful, as this shows a practical interest, however a strong willingness to learn is equally important.
Applicants are expected to be:
- Able to demonstrate a positive attitude, enthusiasm and a natural desire to learn
- Appreciating that horticulture is a very physical role
- Willing to work outside in all weathers
- Able to listen and work to given instructions
- Wanting to build a career in horticulture
- Able to carry out a full range of gardening tasks (once instruction has been provided)
- A proactive approach is needed, having confidence to work alongside others and being able to work on your own initiative
- Courteous and respectful
2 GCSEs in English and mathematics at grade 4/D or above (or equivalent) are essential – however, applicants with relevant prior experience but without the stated qualifications may be considered, though must be prepared to work towards their level 1 functional skills qualifications.
Future prospects include continuing on with your horticulture education or increased prospects of a skilled job in your chosen industry.
Things to consider
- A driving licence is very helpful indeed due to the rural location, though there is a bus stop close by
- You must ensure you have suitable travel arrangements enabling you to get to the workplace and to attend Duchy College Rosewarne
- The role will require you to be happy/able to work outdoors in all weathers
- There is the potential that the published closing date could be brought forward IF multiple suitable candidates come forward
About the employer
Trenython Manor is a 30 acre resort with a hotel, lodges and woodlands.
There are landscaped gardens, borders, beds and tree areas. The team try to be as environmentally aware as is possible and work to create areas for protected wildlife.
We try to help the local community and pre-covid were working on a local viewpoint, ensuring that locals can benefit from this spot.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Duchy College
Recruitment Team 01209 616269
This Apprenticeship will be delivered through a combination of Work Based Assessment and weekly attendance at Duchy College Rosewarne. The programme will culminate in an End Point Assessment Test, where the skills and knowledge gained on the apprenticeship will be formally tested.
- English and maths Functional Skills can be delivered if required
- Horticulture or Landscape Operative Apprenticeship Standard
Horticulture or landscape operative
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.