Commis Chef Apprentice The Red Cow
This is a role that would suit someone with enthusiasm, energy and a passion to become a great chef. To work under the direction and delegation of the head chef. To provide quality dishes which have been prepared, cooked and presented according to company standard and within timescales required for the restaurant.
Closing date: 30 Jan 2022
Total hours per week: 45.00
(the hours are based on the candidate being over 18)
Possible start date
13 Feb 2022
22 Jul 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
The role is for an apprentice chef. You will be under line management of the head chef and will be expected to fully engage in the curriculum set by the college and maintain your portfolio.
You will be expected to communicate clearly with the head chef your objectives that are set in order that we can support your learning in the workplace in alignment of your college curriculum.
You’ll be working mainly in the kitchens, but we will also expect you to spend some time front of house to be able to see how the whole business functions.
This is a role that would suit someone with enthusiasm, energy and a passion to become a great chef.
Duties will include:
- To work under the direction and delegation of the head chef
- To provide quality dishes which have been prepared, cooked and presented according to company standard and within timescales required for the restaurant
- All aspects of food preparation, cooking and presenting of dishes according to company guidelines / customer preferences
- Liaise with kitchen staff, food service/bar staff and restaurant management regarding customers order and general service of kitchen operations
- Maintain a safe and hygienic working environment, to include proper storage of food, equipment, utensils and implements, prevention of working environment hazards and accidents at work, following accident, first aid and emergency procedures
- Daily temperature checks of fridges, freezers, storage areas, deliveries and recording assessment where necessary as directed by the head chef
- Abiding by all legal requirements, food hygiene regulations and food safety laws
- Cleaning, sanitising and disinfecting all kitchen areas in accordance daily
- Maintaining and handling knives safely throughout work activities
- Maintaining a professional, safe and hygienic appearance on duty
- Dishwashing activities including use of machine (storing, stacking and pre-rinsing), cleaning filters and dishwashing equipment
- Complete all paperwork accurately, legibly and clearly as directed by the head chef
- Attend all meeting and training sessions, as requested
- Comply with all other legal obligations, company policies and practices
Requirements and prospects
- Clear communication skills
- Ability to work in a disciplined team environment
- Able to take instruction
- Will to learn
- High standards of personal hygiene
English and maths GSCE pass or equivalent.
On successful completion of the apprenticeship a position will be offered as a full time commis chef at The red Cow on an annual salary of at least.
£16380 equivalent of £7.00 18 to 20 year old.
£19,890 equivalent if £8.50 per hour for 21-22.
£21060 equivalent of £9.00 per hour for 23+.
A career as a chef can be a varied and fulfilling one.
Opportunities exist to work across many different industries and levels.
From the national Careers Service website:
With experience, you could progress to section chef (station chef) and look after a particular area like desserts. The next step is sous chef, running an entire kitchen when the head chef is busy.
As head chef (also known as chef de cuisine), you'll run a kitchen, create menus and manage the budget.
You could move into the business side by taking a foundation degree or degree in hospitality management.
Very large establishments have executive chefs, usually in charge of multiple outlets. This is a management role and you would do very little cooking.
Another option is to train as a teacher or assessor working for a college or training provider.
Things to consider
An apprentice chef will often be working evenings and weekends.
As a rural pub whilst we are a very friendly and happy workplace, your shifts will be split.
You may enjoy your breaks on site or take them elsewhere.
Apprentices are paid for their normal working hours and training that's part of their apprenticeship (usually one day per week). For more information please visit: https://www.gov.uk/national-minimum-wage-rates
About the employer
A rural pub/restaurant.
We are a small family run pub in the idyllic North Essex/South Cambs/East Herts. You will need transport to reach us! In the same hands for nearly 11 years, we have a head chef and would like to have an apprentice to support us in the preparation and delivery of our menus.
We have a restaurant, bar and outside dining areas. The capacity of the restaurant is 32 seats and 20 in the bar. Outside dining caters for up to 60 people.
We produce meals which are homemade from scratch so all your cooking abilities and skills will be developed and nurtured in making everything on the menu. From soups and stocks, pastries and pies, vegetable preparation, meat and fish preparation and cooking, and making beautiful desserts.
CAMBRIDGE REGIONAL COLLEGE
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Cambridge Regional College
Taz Islam TIslam@camre.ac.uk
Intermediate Commis Chef Standard.
The majority of the training will be delivered on site at the work place.
Depending on the courses available at CR there will be one day per week at college.
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.