Medical Receptionist Apprentice Testvale Surgery
Testvale Surgery are recruiting a new medical receptionist apprentice role to help us to provide high quality health care to our registered patients. You will be responsible for working as part of our multi-disciplinary team.
Closing date: 05 Nov 2021
Total hours per week: 37.50
Possible start date
07 Nov 2021
09 Jul 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
The medical receptionist role provides a very important front line service for patients, acting as the first port of call for patients and other health professionals seeking to access the GP service. Our receptionists are highly trained, offering first class customer care services and treating each call with full confidentiality. This is a challenging and rewarding role which comes with the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Ensure a friendly, effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the practice
- Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make new and follow-up appointments
- Using your own judgment and communication skills to ensure that patients with no prior appointment but who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner
- Explain practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary cover and ensure procedures are completed
- Receive and make telephone calls as required. Divert calls and take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate delivery
- Enter requests for home visits into the visit book, ensuring careful recording of all relevant details and where necessary refer to Duty Doctor
- Action repeat prescription requests
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private (non General Medical Services) services, accept payment and issue receipts for same
- Enter patient information on to the computer as required
- Act as a Chaperone during consultations
Requirements and prospects
- Good communication skills
- Good organisational skills
What you’ll need:
- A real focus on customer care
- Empathetic nature
- Can do attitude
GCSE maths and English or equivalent is desirable although can be delivered as part of the apprenticeship.
Testvale Surgery has a wide range of roles, other roles may become of interest once you have gained experience these range from further office based roles like medical secretary, nurse admin and scanning to medical roles such as health care assistants. When other roles do become available we will offer these to in-house staff before looking to outside recruitment.
Things to consider
- Working within an office environment
- Use of telephone systems
- Rotation through a number of practice administrative functions to provide more varied role
- Dealing with patients on a daily basis who can be challenging and emotional.
- Confidentiality – the ability to keep patient related matters private at all times is absolutely critical to this role
About the employer
Testvale Surgery is a GP Surgery located in central Totton which provides a wide range of GP and Nurse led primary health care services.
Testvale Surgery has its roots in Totton going back over a century and since 1987 has been at our present location on Salisbury Road.
We are passionate about the care we provide for our patients and always try to offer convenient appointments and the highest quality care. We have well-established charitable support in the Friends of Testvale Surgery, who help us to improve the care we provide for our patients.
Our aims and objectives are:
- Provision of high quality patient care delivered in a clean, suitably equipped and safe environment.
- Care will be provided by suitably trained and experienced members of staff working alongside other non practice staff to ensure seamless provision of service.
- Patients will be involved in their own care and be given appropriate choices in where and when their care is provided and by whom.
- The practice will provide suitable clinics to manage long term conditions putting the patient as the primary focus.
- All patients and users of the Practice will be treated with dignity and respect.
- The Practice will work in collaboration with other NHS providers to create cost effective pathways ensuring easier access to services closer to home.
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Totton College
Apprenticeships 02380874874 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Level 2 Customer service practitioner apprenticeship standard
The successful candidate will have a comprehensive induction programme to support them to understand the health care environment and general practice. They will be provided with a mentor at the practice to help support and drive their development. The candidate will be expected to attend release days to support their learning as well as being provided with on the job training in all aspects of the administrative roles undertaken at the practice.
Customer service practitioner
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.