Apprentice Care Support Worker Meridian Healthcare
At Meridian, we are always looking for reliable, motivated and dedicated care workers. Meridian offer competitive rates of pay, flexible working hours and career development opportunities. Candidates will be responsible for medication, meals, personal care and domesticated duties along with social activities.
Closing date: 30 Sep 2021
Total hours per week: 40.00
Possible start date
01 Oct 2021
16 Jun 2021
Level 2 (GCSE)
To have individual responsibility in accordance with the practices, procedures and policies, for the personal needs of service users.
To work towards an assessed and planned package of support, care or maintenance programme, enabling service users and their carers to exercise control over their own lives by maximising their independence.
To promote the opportunity for service users to live in the community for as long as possible, by providing care and support to individuals and families.
To provide a culturally and ethnically sensitive service which is integral to the provision of home care.
- To perform basic personal care tasks as outlined in the service user’s care plan. Provide personal care in a sensitive and culturally appropriate manner for all service users, (this may include assisting service users to go to bed, total body washing, in line with procedures, assisting with toileting, dressing and feeding).
- To alert field care supervisors of any changes in the service user’s condition or circumstances.
- To create and maintain good communication with service users including those who may have some degree of communication difficulties.
- To make and maintain effective working relationships with service users.
- To develop good communication links with the usual carer or family member in the service user’s home.
- Undertake essential domestic duties to assist service users to care for their homes, (e.g. cleaning, laundry, ironing etc), whilst encouraging them to retain maximum independence by creating a supportive homely atmosphere.
- To prepare and cook culturally appropriate meals as outlined in the care plan.
- To help with purchasing of provisions to provide an adequate, balanced and stimulating diet where necessary.
- To assist the service user manage their finances E.G. collect pensions, pay bills etc as directed in the care plan.
- Make referrals to your Team Leader for equipment or services needed by service users, (e.g. incontinence supplies).
- Ensure that medication is prompted or assistance is provided as necessary (dependant on level of training received by the Care Worker).
- Willing to work regular weekends, evenings and nights if requested to do so by the management.
- To adhere to all of the Meridian policies.
In general it is the duty of the post holder to undertake all care work with the sensitivity required to provide services in a way, which will preserve the dignity, privacy, choice, independence, fulfilment and rights of the service user and his/her usual carer/members of family..
Responsibility for People
- Care workers have no direct responsibility for staff.
- Care workers should aim to ensure a safe as possible living environment for service users whilst respecting service user’s choice and rights.
- Care workers should ensure the service user is not put at risk as a result of home care activities.
- Care workers may have to work alongside other care staff with respect and professionalism. No form of discrimination against another care worker, service user or any other person encountered in the course of your work will be tolerated and may result in disciplinary action being instigated.
Responsibility for Resources
- Equipment, protective clothing and uniforms are provided by Meridian.
- Cleaning materials are supplied by the service user or Meridian in accordance with Meridian Policies and Procedures.
- Care workers are responsible for the safe handling of property and equipment belonging to the service user.
The duties described in this job description must be carried out in a manner which promotes equality of opportunity, dignity and due respect for all employees and service users and is consistent with the company’s Equal Opportunities Policy.
Meridian is an Equal Opportunities employer and as such our philosophy is to promote a fair and professional working environment for all of our employees.
As an employee you have responsibility for the successful application of our Equal Opportunities Policy:
- By not discriminating in the course of your employment against fellow employees, service users or any other person you come into contact with in the course of your work.
- By not inducing or attempting to induce others to practice unlawful discrimination.
- By challenging and managing any member of staff who demonstrates any form of discriminatory practice.
- By bringing to the attention of management discriminatory acts or practices.
Requirements and prospects
- English reading and writing
- Driving Licence not essential but desirable
- Must be hard working, reliable, caring, able to use initiative
- Be good at reporting and recording
GCSE’s (or equivalent) grade A*/9 to C/4 in Maths & English is desired but not essential as we’re able to support you through your Level 2 Functional Skills in Maths and English if you do not already obtain these qualifications.
- Internal roles and progression
- Higher level apprenticeships
Things to consider
Apprenticeship National Minimum Wage (ANMW): The National Minimum Wage for Apprentices is £4.15 per hour. This is the legal minimum pay per hour applying to 16-18-year-old apprentices and those aged 19 and over in the first year of their apprenticeship. For apprentices 19 or over who have completed their first year and are continuing their apprenticeship, the National Minimum wage appropriate to their age applies.
It is highly important that you do not contact the Employer directly – any attempt of this may invalidate candidate’s application. Should you have any queries regarding your application or the job itself, please contact your local Woodspeen Training Academy.
Please note this job may expire before the stated date if a suitable applicant is appointed.
Please consider how you would travel to this vacancy, if you will be using public transport please check this before applying.
About the employer
On 4th November 2019, Meridian Health and Social Care was launched as Grosvenor Health and Social Care’s latest regional brand. Previously part of the Midlands-based Sevacare brand, Meridian sees the East region develop its own localised branding with a presence in Coventry, Hinckley, Leicester, Lincoln, Nottingham and Tamworth.
What sets us apart from other care providers is the investment in our people. We employ the best in the industry: those who have the technical and professional ability, as well as a firm belief in our organisational values. We ensure this by a considerable investment in training and professional development.
WOODSPEEN TRAINING LIMITED
Applications for this apprenticeship are being processed by Woodspeen Training
Zara Harley 01484 429359 Zara.Harley@Woodpseentraining.co.uk
Level 2 Health and Social Care:
- Intermediate Apprenticeship Level 2 adult care worker apprenticeship
- Care Certificate
- Diploma in Health and Social Care
- Functional skills Level 1 English & maths (if required)
- Own in house training (manual handling etc.)
Adult care worker
Level 2 (GCSE)
Before you apply
Before you apply for an apprenticeship you must first create an account. If you already have an account you'll need to sign in.